Author Topic: Where does inspiration come from?  (Read 9059 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Where does inspiration come from?
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
Me too Joe. Just can't make up my mind who. That's why I keep making my own.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 06:27:23 PM »
Tom, I'm stuck in a bit of a inspirational/creative rut myself.  I have a half built Lehigh on the bench that hasn't been touched in 6 months. 

I need a good story in my head also to get me excited also. My early French ancestors we're in De'troit by 1720. I might build a story around that.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 09:17:26 PM »
I have lots of interests and more projects than I am likely to ever get done.    My physical ability limits how much of a lot of things i can do.   About four hours a day in the shop on one project I all I can stand before my head explodes.   I spent 2-3 hours this morning putting planking on my RC plane fuselage (54" Albatross DVa - something else I have no idea how to do).    Now, I am getting ready to go out in the shop and see if I feel like taking some more wood off a stock.   I might do some fraktur Christmas gifts this evening.    If you don't want to work on something right now,  move on to something else you do want to work on.   That said, I find if I just put myself out in the shop, the spirit will move me to do something.

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 05:12:55 PM »
Building for my own pleasure and at a leisurely pace, I start thinking about my next rifle a year or two in advance. Inspiration doesn’t come to me in a flash.  Rather, it’s a series of mini-flashes as I research the next project. 

In the past, inspiration has come from a specific rifle or several rifles by a specific gun maker. I haven’t tried to build a copy but rather emulate various characteristics I found pleasing to the eye. Researching the rifles and the gun maker through books, originals and contemporary rifles helped bring the rifle I’m imagining into focus as I incorporated various attributes and discarded others.

However, inspiration for my upcoming project has been different.  I wanted to build a Kentucky fowler that a Dauphin gun maker might have built.  However, I’ve not found any photos or references to fowlers built by this maker, though I’m sure he did.  Thus, I’ve had to imagine a fowler that might have come from his shop, likely requested by a client.  In essence, knowing his rifles and building characteristics, what might this fowler have looked like?  It’s been a fun exercise and valuable  (inspiring?) learning process.  I’m anxious to start making wood chips this spring.