Author Topic: Expert help needed please!  (Read 2941 times)

SloanT

Expert help needed please!
« on: November 28, 2015, 07:51:53 PM »
Hello all! I'm looking to purchase a Longrifle kit for my father. I want to surprise him with it, but my issue is I do not have as much knowledge as he does, so I don't want to get him the wrong thing and/or forget important extras. He is a lifelong participant in the Feast of the Hunter's Moon here in Indiana, which is a reenactment of a gathering at a French trading post during French and Indian war times, so I want to make sure I get a period accurate rifle. He grew up here in Indiana as well, so I thought it would be nice to get a rifle that may have been used in the area. If you have any knowledge that would help in his area I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance,
Tyrel

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Expert help needed please!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 09:49:05 PM »
Very generous and noble effort on your part. Good luck and maybe a smooth bore or smooth rifle or a transitional style gun of sorts.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 10:05:38 PM »
You can't go wrong with a Jim Chambers kit.  http://www.flintlocks.com/

Offline jrb

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 11:55:54 PM »
I'm absolutely not an expert in any way, but I think if your Dad does accurate period reenacting, a rifle barreled American made gun probably isn't what he would want for  the French and Indian war era. They may have been extremely rare in that conflict.
I'm curious to see what Rich Pierce and a couple other experts on this site say.

Also, what gun,  may depend on what persona he is portraying.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:19:24 AM by jrb »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 04:30:06 AM »
a rifle barreled American made gun probably isn't what he would want for  the French and Indian war era.
I have to agree whole heartedly with this.  Plus, there were no Americans yet, they were just colonists.  Depending on what his persona is, it could be French or British military, French habitant, courer de bois, colonist, one of the Ranger groups, Native American, etc.

You really need to narrow it down before you pick.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »
Better figure on something French. I think RE Davis sells a French Fusil de Trait kit. I built one years ago.
http://www.fowlingguns.com/frenchfowler.html
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?