Author Topic: Incised carving technique  (Read 12241 times)

Offline Tom Currie

Incised carving technique
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:13:21 PM »
I am planning some incised carving and have a new 60 degree V tool that I am planning to use. yesterday I purchased Jack Brooks' carving video and he is incise carving basically stabbing in with gouges and then making a parallel stab to take out the sliver of wood. It certainly looks less dangerous that chasing a V tool. Any thoughts on Jack Brooks method and do any of you carvers use the stabbing in method for incised carving ?

Thanks as always.

George F.

Re: Incised carving technique
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:25:27 PM »
Taylor does excellent incised carving, wait for his opinion.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 10:35:03 PM »
I was taught to incise carve by stabbing and using a knife.  Was told that a V-gouge increased the risk of tearing the wood.  Despite that warning I have used both techniques with good results.  I would practice both and see what works for you.
DR

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:33:20 AM »
If you use the V tool, make sure you get it razor sharp. That is the downfall of that tool. It can take a whole day( ???) to get it right.

I would consider E Kettenburg or A Martin to be some of the top dogs in this style.

The chip carvers use knives. I would be hesitant to get a gigundo set of gouges to make all the curves you need, when one knife will do 90 percent of the cuts.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 03:19:33 AM »
George, you are too kind. 
I use several of Brownell's little V tools - sold with the chequering equipment.  I've been using them since I purchased them in the late '70s, but Acer's advice is the key.  They need to be shaving sharp.
I hand push mine, using my other thumb as a stop/brake, to control run-aways.  Just like push engraving.
But you should practice until you are confident, with several methods.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 03:48:09 AM »
A good sharp V tool works for me.  You will need good magnification to make sure that you have it sharp right down into the bottom of the V. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 03:53:07 AM »
I certainly wouldn't argue that some people achieve excellent results with the V-gouge.  Taylor and Acer are two fine examples.   However, having first tried the v-gouge and then being introduced to the stabbing method, I found the latter much more to my liking.

I don't know if I'd live long enough to master the V-gouge and produce as good a result with it, that I can with the stabbing method.  As stated previously, and as with any carving tool, the v-gouges must be extremely sharp for best results.  The kicker, as far as I'm concerned, is that they are a real pain to get right.

I also find the stabbing method to be more controllable and forgiving for me.  In addition to being less prone to a catastrophic slip, or a flat spotted curve, the secondary cut of the stabbing method, used to open up the line allows me to accent a curve or improve a line that may not be exactly what was intended.

I've got a couple v-gouges that almost never leave the rack.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 04:00:55 AM »
Very nice incised carving can be performed with a parting tool, but I feel the finest most dramatic carving can be performed with stabbing and paring.  With that being said, I would venture the vast majority of incised carving on American firearms was performed with the parting tool.  No doubt results can be obtained that are attractive and look appropriate.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 07:06:49 AM »
Here's something I'm working on. It's a mix of low relief and incised carving. I use a knife. I agree with Jim that parting tools were probably used the most but we really don't know. Use what works.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 07:09:49 AM by B Shipman »

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »
Beautiful work as usual Bill!!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

George F.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 03:46:40 PM »
As always Bill, just your normal beautiful work. I think this is the first one posted where some of the stock was workshop dirty.   ...Geo.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 05:13:55 PM »
Well, I may be pilloried for my non-PC techniques, but here's what's worked for me.  Wood burner!  I've got a good set with four different handle/tips and adjustable heat settings, originally used it for burning in feathers on waterfowl decoys (I think everybody around my area has carved decoys at some point, lots of the woodwork is adaptable).  I've found it great for a number of things, like laying out relief carving patterns, but it's great for incise work.  For deeper V cuts it's a good starting point, just let the veiner ride along the burn cut.  The wood burner doesn't care about grain direction, doesn't chip, just cuts like a hot knife through butter.  For fine lines you don't even have to follow with the veiner, just the burn cut makes a very fine incise line.  Haven't experimented with very light color stains, but mid to dark colors the burnt aspect disapears when stained. 

Here's a bit on the last gun I finished, before and after, you can really tell on the single squiggly line coming off the leaves.  This was just burnt only, not gone over with any other tool.  On the relieved carving it was used to outline instead of stabbing in, then cut away from that.

This works so well I've often wondered if any of the old gunsmiths used hot tools?  I can imagine them setting the tip of a knife or veiner in the fire or a candle, should work equally well?
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 05:34:17 PM »
Thanks guys. Either way I need to work on my tools first and then start practising in earnest. Used  a knife before but not to the level I will need to execute now.

Bill, You sure set the bar high ! I don't know whether to be encouraged or disheartened. ???

Osprey, Thanks for sharing your method on burning ! Looks pretty good.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 08:06:02 PM »
Obviously great work can be done with the parting tool but as mentioned it must be sharp.  The reason is that you almost always have one side or the other of the parting tool cutting against the grain.  That is why I like the stabbing in technique.

Bruce

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 08:25:17 PM »
I never thought of burning, but it looks pretty good.

The Victorian chair backs, with pressed designs, did they use heat and pressure to do that?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 10:54:26 PM »
I've found that the "V" gouge no matter how sharp and how much of a rounded belly it has -you will allways run into the problem of dragging the heel when going to a corner of a scroll.  My choice is like Bill's -I use a regular carving knife and stab in from both sides of the pattern to make my "V". Then when the two cuts come together the chip just falls out.  Just the way I do it.  Hugh Toenjes     P.S. and by the way nice job Bill!
H.T.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 11:08:18 PM »
I still have my burner from when I was a serious decoy carver. I might play around with it on a piece of scrap just to see. I sure could make life like feathers with it back in the day.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 11:20:01 PM »
Eric that looks like the same one I have!
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"