Author Topic: Need help  (Read 6844 times)

Rob

Need help
« on: December 16, 2015, 03:53:18 AM »
 my first  attempt   at a ml from scratch needs comments from people who know what a reasonable attempt looks like I built it from scratch lock stock and barrel ( just didn't drill the hole through the blank) ..I would like to post pictures but am at a loss as to how this site works  could someone point me in the right direction  .. Thanks guys  Rob

Whaleman

Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 04:12:59 AM »
Looking forward to pictures. Dan

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 04:46:15 AM »
Hi Rob,

Welcome to ALR.  Here's a link to a tutorial on posting pictures on ALR....  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

The condensed version is...
  • 1.Upload your pictures to a photo hosting website, like PhotoBucket, TinyPic, etc.  Stay logged on to the photo hosting site.
  • 2. Open ALR in a second window, log in and start a new topic.
  • 3. To put a picture in your topic, look above for the "Add BBC tags" buttons.  Click on the second button, in the second row.  It looks like a little picture.  This will add the necessary IMG tags.
  • 4. Go to the photo hosting site and copy the link to the first picture you want to put on ALR.
  • 5. Go to ALR and paste the link in the middle of the IMG tags.
  • 6. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 to add additional photo's.
  • 7. Please don't delete your linked pictures off the hosting site.  If you do, the pictures will disappear from ALR.

Hope this helps.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 04:48:41 AM »

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 04:50:32 AM »
Are you saying that you made the lock and reamed and rifled your barrel?   If so,  that is quite an accomplishment for a first rifle.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 08:17:51 PM »
The way it's written, it's hard to tell exactly what he's saying.......  ???

John
John Robbins

Rob

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 11:40:21 PM »
The way it's written, it's hard to tell exactly what he's saying.......  ???

John
  Sorry If I left you wondering  I got a guy to bore the hole through the steel rod   (12/14L)   He had a deep hole drill and it came out looking like it was finish reamed so no I did not ream the hole  but everything else I made from scratch the lock including springs also frizzen  ..
The mould I made was not the usual type with a hinge at one end but was based on pipe whith the pieces sliding inside one another works a treat  just getting the cavity perfectly  round and the right size was my problem   Rob

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:05:10 AM »
Did you not know that you could buy very good ready made barrels, including ones that you could rifle yourself?     In any case,   you are one of a rare few who have managed to make most everything themselves.    I am working on a project to make a rifle and pistol entirely in the 18th century manner, but I have never made all the components of a rifle to date.   You have quite an accomplishment.    I can't wait to see photos.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 04:34:16 AM »
Rob, If you can't figure out posting pictures, email them to me and I'll post them for you.
John

jtrrobbins@msn.com
John Robbins

Rob

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 09:08:30 AM »
Did you not know that you could buy very good ready made barrels, including ones that you could rifle yourself?     In any case,   you are one of a rare few who have managed to make most everything themselves.    I am working on a project to make a rifle and pistol entirely in the 18th century manner, but I have never made all the components of a rifle to date.   You have quite an accomplishment.    I can't wait to see photos.

I live in New Zealand  and buying stuff from  the US of a is expensive then the postage makes your eyes water then a lot of sites wont export to NZ Not sure what Walter Guzzler would say on that either  Rob

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 10:08:59 PM »
Did you not know that you could buy very good ready made barrels, including ones that you could rifle yourself?     In any case,   you are one of a rare few who have managed to make most everything themselves.    I am working on a project to make a rifle and pistol entirely in the 18th century manner, but I have never made all the components of a rifle to date.   You have quite an accomplishment.    I can't wait to see photos.

I live in New Zealand  and buying stuff from  the US of a is expensive then the postage makes your eyes water then a lot of sites wont export to NZ Not sure what Walter Guzzler would say on that either  Rob

The name is Wallace Gusler.   He was the first master at the Colonial Williamsburg gunshop.   I am not sure what he would say about exports to NZ.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:15:03 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 10:54:18 PM »
Mark are you sure Wallace's last name has a  t  in it. ;) Tim

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 10:58:46 PM »
Gusler.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Rob

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 11:28:15 PM »
What an idiot, I made a abooboo with the spelling of his name that was meant to be two ss's   Rob  ???

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 03:14:14 AM »

You are right, no 't'.  Sorry.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 04:18:20 AM »
I posted pictures of Robs gun under this tittle, here in Gun Building. Gun made by Rob in NZ
John
John Robbins