Author Topic: How to secure stock for carving  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

How to secure stock for carving
« on: December 16, 2015, 08:32:34 PM »
I realize this is a pretty basic question, but how do you guys secure your stock while carving (relief carving)?

I don't recall seeing much discussion on this with the tutorials.   I see some pictures clamped in vises, but I just know that if I approached this in my usual ham-fisted way I would either crush and break the stock, or I would strike the gouge with a mallet and the stock would come flying out of the vise and hit the ground and break.

Online T*O*F

Re: How to secure stock for carving
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 11:00:27 PM »
Sandbags work.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 11:04:47 PM »
No need to squash the stock, snug is fine. You won't be striking a gouge hard enough when you're doing relief carving to knock it out of the vise. Easy does it.
 Don't think I could use sand bags though.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 11:09:48 PM »
one vise, swiveled to let buttstock rested on a sandbag...... ;D

or get Paris and Lindsey to hold the barrel, whislt resting the buttstock on a sandbag.....that works for me a lot........... :D

marc n tomtom

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 11:36:13 PM »
One versa type vise (swivels on two axis if necessary) in the center of my bench with swing arm rests on either end of the bench.   I frequently support part of the work with my body.   

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 12:15:58 AM »
This is the best way for a fat old man with a bad back.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:17:15 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 04:37:44 AM »
My vise swivels 360 degrees and tilts about 270.  The curved-back blocks have leather faces and allow clamping on non-parallel surfaces. 

-Ron

Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 07:25:50 AM »
I am not much of a carver (yet) but have developed an inexpensive (free) system.  I have soft wood blocks with thick leather glued to them.  Using these between the vice jaws, (and another underneath to hold the correct elevation of the stock in the vice).  I clamp the stock, with barrel installed, as someone said, snug.  The forend rests on a 4 x 4 with a wood block screwed to it parallel to the barrel. for it to snug against.  on the other side, is a wood block attached to the 4 X 4 with one large screw so it will pivot to self align to the forend.  I use a softwood block (with leather glued to the face that touches the forend ) and a thin oak wedge to push between the block against the fore end and the block screwed to the 4 X 4s to safely hold the forend.  This way each end of the stock is held securely with no damage.  To work on the other side, I turn the rifle over and slide the wedge in, this time on the barrel side.  It is slow, but as I said, it is cheap.  If I need a different height, I just shim the whole works up a little.  I am still unpacking and assembling my new shop, so you folks will not have to endure a photo of this Rube Goldberg set up.   If so, it still wouldn't be as much of a shock as the photo of Keb in the clown suit holding a Hudson River fowler with a 6 ft. bbl.  ;D
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.