Author Topic: Barrel Scraper Tool  (Read 19659 times)

Willbarq

Re: Barrel Scraper Tool
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 07:05:19 AM »
I make my own scrapers the shape I want/need.  I have 1/2 octagon scrapers for the barrel profiles I let in.  I don't sharpen the edges that ride along the sides of the inlet where the vertical barrel walls meet the stock.  I round those over before heat-treating.  That way the inlet stays nice and tight.

I have always been disappointed with bought scrapers.  Maybe its that when making your own you learn how to sharpen them, making keeping them sharp a mastered skill.  I don't know.  I can make a scraper in 30 minutes - why buy?

Merry Christmas,

John Cholin

You wanna make me one? Inletting a 7/8 straight barrel.

If I make you one you will not learn how to make your own.

If you do not learn how to make your own then you will not discover that you CAN make your own tools.

If you do not discover that you can make your own tools then your growth as a gun-maker is stymied.

If your growth is stymied you stop learning.

If you stop learning you die.

So, instead of making one, how about I work on a tutorial next week that basically replicates what I've been doing at the fair for the past how many years?

Merry Christmas,

John Cholin & Ollie

Willbarq

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2015, 07:14:50 AM »
I make my own scrapers the shape I want/need.  I have 1/2 octagon scrapers for the barrel profiles I let in.  I don't sharpen the edges that ride along the sides of the inlet where the vertical barrel walls meet the stock.  I round those over before heat-treating.  That way the inlet stays nice and tight.

I have always been disappointed with bought scrapers.  Maybe its that when making your own you learn how to sharpen them, making keeping them sharp a mastered skill.  I don't know.  I can make a scraper in 30 minutes - why buy?

Merry Christmas,

John Cholin

If you do not learn how to make your own then you will not discover that you CAN make your own tools.

If you do not discover that you can make your own tools then your growth as a gun-maker is stymied.

So, instead of making one, how about I work on a tutorial next week that basically replicates what I've been doing at the fair for the past how many years?

Merry Christmas,

John Cholin & Ollie

That would be fine.

I agree with you, but this whole process is throwing A LOT of new stuff at me.

Learning what to use, how, when , you know.... I don't need to chop the tree down for a piece of wood. Follow me?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 03:03:25 PM »

Merry Christmas,

John Cholin

Merry Christmas,

John Cholin & Ollie

If you stop learning you are dead from the neck up.

Bob Roller

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2015, 05:48:38 PM »
Well said Bob.