Author Topic: RUPP BARN GUN DONE  (Read 12438 times)

Offline Gaeckle

Re: RUPP BARN GUN DONE
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2015, 05:40:56 PM »
Nice work.....what book are you showing on your Photobucket slideshow? Like to do one of those and need some reference.

Offline bowkill

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2015, 08:07:19 PM »
Lets see a picture of what you did with the buttstock piece to protect it..
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline Kermit

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2015, 03:54:46 AM »
Maybe just one lockscrew next time?
Got any photos of a COPPER triggerguard? I've given thought to copper doodads on a barn gun.
Gotta love a Rupp.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline t.caster

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2015, 07:25:25 PM »
The books referenced were Shumway's "Rifles of Colonial America" Vol. 1 and Merrill Lindsay's "THE KENTUCKY RIFLE" in color.

The endgrain of the butt in this case, gets multiple coats of Permalyn sealer, that's all.

Here is a photo group of a .40 cal Barn Gun I built back around 1988 (before digital camera) with the copper guard I mentioned, one lockbolt and a flat metal shotgun buttplate. It is a generic Lancaster style.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:46:54 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

wbradbury

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2015, 02:51:58 AM »
This is the gun I imagine my great grandfather (5th or 6th) Elisia Jones using to provide for his family when he returned home in 1779 after two years of service in the continental army. I love the elaborate carving and meticulous metal work on the other fancy guns, but I keep coming back to this page and this rifle.  It's simplicity and functionality is what makes this rifle great. My opinion, Will.