Author Topic: Breech Thread Fit on Sea Service Bess made in India  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Daryl

Breech Thread Fit on Sea Service Bess made in India
« on: December 27, 2015, 01:17:35 AM »
I recently came across these pictures and thought I'd simply show them. You should know, the distributor of these muskets said they had this particular one 'proof tested' after I returned it to them and that it was perfectly safe and it passed ALL tests - although I do not know what 'tests' were conducted nor by whom.

I will also note, that after firing this gun, I decided to remove the barrel and brown it. I removed the breech (after browning) just to check fit as it had a weird flash-shield type plate that was between the threads and the plug.  The OD diameter at the breech was 1.1", tapered to the muzzle.  6" back from the muzzle the barrel wall was very thin on one side, thicker on the other. I shorted it and was quite shocked at this and wondered if it did this elsewhere in it's length.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:25:03 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Breech Thread Fit on Sea Service Bess made in India
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 02:02:21 AM »
Oh man I gotta have me one of those!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 02:19:24 AM »
It is Sea Service; that thread will rust together in a short while.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 04:21:02 AM »
Heck, clean it, degrease it, fill the threads up with J B Weld, and screw it back together.   ;D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 02:52:07 AM »
I would be inclined to ream out the touch hole to about 1/2" diameter. That might lower the stress enough for it to be only mildly unsafe.

In Ancient Times, e.g. the 1980's the late John Baird got me in contact with various people involved in gun failures. The first thing I looked at was a brass barreled blunderbuss made in India, and sold by Navy Arms.

Val Forgett had been unaware of just how they made it.

Every now & again some Righteous Person says we cannot consider an entire nation bad because of some junk. I in my terribly bigoted opinion, perhaps enhanced by experience, differ. I might suggest no one ever shoot a muzzle loading gun made in India.

Well, some fine fellow had been shooting blanks through this blunderbuss.
As he seemed unaware that even without ball one can get rather high pressures in a gun, he loaded it with a 12 ga shell full of black powder. Pushed down a load of newspaper for a wad.
The breech-plug flew past (fortunately) his head. 

I was puzzled, as I could easily screw that plug back in place. It was very, very loose. The fine male threads were so small, and the female threads so large, that only the very tips of the threads were smeared, just a little, as the breech plug blew out.

Had the male & female threads been sized to make a decent fit the thing might have stood up to his blanks longer than he could.

One other point which might be ignored now & again is that threaded connections in brass should be with COARSE threads, and not fine. This is, or was, well known in various mechanical circles. I doubt that I could come up with a reference now.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 05:19:11 AM »
................ You should know, the distributor of these muskets said they had this particular one 'proof tested' after I returned it to them and that it was perfectly safe and it passed ALL tests - although I do not know what 'tests' were conducted nor by whom.

Folks will say just about anything to sell something and pry money from the hands of others.

......something about "where angels fear to tread" keeps running through my mind.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 09:04:20 PM »
Hi Daryl,
I am not surprised.  I've repaired a number of locks from India-made muskets and they all had at least some terrible features.  Some important parts like the tumbler and sear were not hardened,  screws were drilled at angles to the lockplates, frizzens didn't spark, pan cover fit so poor that priming spills out, etc.  Of course, there have been a few funky breeching methods used on production guns from other nations as well.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."