Author Topic: Apples and Oranges (or just apples for now)  (Read 3423 times)

Johann

Apples and Oranges (or just apples for now)
« on: December 29, 2015, 07:11:10 AM »
I am considering building a flintlock pistol using applewood, wherefore I am curious if anyone here has ever had any experience with it. Just looking for any advice on using (or avoiding) applewood, as it does not seem to be popular for pistols. Any thoughts?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Apples and Oranges (or just apples for now)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 07:57:38 AM »
I think it will be ideal. It's dense, takes carving well. Sapwood is typically white. The heart can range in color from brown, to dark reddish brown, streaks of dark running through the heart.

Pear is bland by comparison, but another fine wood for a pistol.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 02:02:38 PM »
    The good thing is that you can use the shavings etc. to smoke your venison sausage...
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 03:44:38 PM »
I love this forum, I needed a good laugh to start my day. Thanks Lucky RA
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:47:01 PM by conquerordie »

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 05:20:47 PM »
Hi Johann,
Apple is a fine wood but very bland in appearance.  Make sure it is well seasoned.  Gunmakers in NW France frequently used apple wood during the 16th-17th centuries. Below is a photo of a French wheellock stocked in apple wood, which gives you an idea of its appearance.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline BJH

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 10:59:04 PM »
 The only thing that might present a problem is getting a big enough piece of Apple wood. All the orchard trees I have seen never get big enough in dia. BJH
BJH

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 11:10:52 PM »
I don't know that I'd stain one again.  I had a piece with all kinds of interesting character in it, but staining it made it look like a piece of basswood.  All the figure disappeared.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Johann

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 07:24:18 AM »
Thank you all for your thoughts!   I have a piece of applewood that was from a local orchard . It has been seasoning (i.e. dust-collecting) in my workshop for a few years, and in its current form it is the perfect size for a pistol blank. Other pieces of wood from the same tree have proved to make fine spoons, hence my recent revelation; "if it makes good spoons, why cant it make a good pistol!''

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 07:29:59 AM »
I'd not hesitate to use it for a pistol. Even if your piece is bland, it will take carving very well. With some areas carved, and hardware installed, a thumbpiece, well, there isn't much wood left to look at!
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.