Author Topic: browning in the upper midwest in the winter  (Read 4653 times)

Offline snapper

browning in the upper midwest in the winter
« on: January 15, 2016, 05:32:43 AM »
As part of Gods plan to try and teach me patience by working with my 17 year old son on re finishing a rifle we have been browning parts this week.

As it always is in the winter time the humidity is low, making rust browning a tougher proposition. 

Since my sweat box never came back after I loaned it out I have been too lazy to build a new one.

I was thinking of a quick and easy way to replicate a sweat box.

We have taken a large plastic tote we use to store stuff in and turned it up side down with the parts under it on my work bench, took the hot plate I use to keep my bullet molds hot and put a pot of water on it.  I have it set as low as it goes, and it simply puts warm water into the air.  It took the humidity in my shop at 35% to 75% inside the inverted tote.

works great, cheap and easy.  No need to put it in the bathroom.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: browning in the upper midwest in the winter
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 09:12:25 AM »
 I think you will get too much humidity the way you described. There is a likelyhood that it will rain on your parts. Drops of water will mess up browning.  Get a carboard box and rince it out with water. don't get it sopping wet just damp. Suspend the parts inside of it not touching the sides. It shoud be at least 70 °F  to 80°f. They will rust at a controlable rate.  If you have trouble ask more here.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 03:34:38 PM »
Jerry

I appreciate and value your input.   Actually the method I described has been perfect.  My hot plate is a scientific one that is a university surplus that I bought a few years ago.  At the lowest setting it is too hot to touch, but not even close to boiling the water.   

I was hesitant for the first 4 hour cycle, but I have no condensation in the box.  I think that I could even turn up the hot plate a little.

As of today I am done with the browning.

The temp in the box was around 65 F.

Thanks

fleener

Boompa

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 04:17:57 PM »
  In the arid west we fight this no matter what time of year.  I've constructed a tent similar to what you describe but I use a 55 gal lawn/leaf bag. I've constructed a frame out of 1" PVC that I hang from the ceiling of my shop with the bag over the frame. I have several little hooks installed in the underside of the top of the frame so I can hang parts without them touching the frame or bag.  Beneath the tent I have a hot-plate and a pan of water. As Jerry points out it is easy to get too much humidity resulting in drips, small water spots etc. with this arrangement, I learned this the hard way.  To remedy the problem I've cut a hole in the top of the tent to allow moisture to escape and I also leave the hot-plate on the lowest setting.  It works well.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:19:03 PM »
 Snapper.
  Good. As long as the ambient temperature doesn't get too low you will be fine. One thing wrong with discussions on the internet is there is no way to judge the knowledge of the person you are correscponding with.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Turtle

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 10:04:24 PM »
my best browning jobs have been in the cold weather when I can put the barrel on top of the wood stove to heat for hot browning.
                                             Turtle

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 01:16:32 AM »
I made a sweat box out of a 6 foot piece of 8"dia. PVC pipe.  A bucket of water and rags provides humidity and a 100W light bulb provides heat and aids humidity.

Offline snapper

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 04:20:45 PM »
I have been able to use the low humidity and lower shop temperature to my benefit.

My sons schedule is busy with finals and basketball, so slowing down the rusting at times has been a good thing.

Fleener

Online davec2

• The Lucky Bag
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

509thsfs

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 04:07:11 PM »
I just built mine by making a quick frame out of faring strips, some plywood for a floor, and covering it with plastic sheeting (drop cloth type stuff). I put a can of water on a hot plate in it. with wood, plastic, screws and a couple hinges for the door, think the whole thing cost me about $10.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 05:57:56 PM »
Snapper,

I bought a gun cabinet at an auction for ten bucks that had been broken into by a previous owner who lost the keys.  I re-purposed it into a sweat box.  Replaced the drilled out handle with a faucet handle.  I use a trouble light for a heat source when needed, over a pail of water.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing