Author Topic: loading 3f in a 54 cal. rifle  (Read 10013 times)

Offline draken

loading 3f in a 54 cal. rifle
« on: February 26, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »
I am nearing completion of 54 cal. Issac Haines.with a 39 inch C weight Rice bbl. Only powder I have is 3F Goex, of which I have a good supply.  I'm unaware of any source in my neck of the woods (Western New York) where I black powder is sold and buying a case of 2F is out of the question. 

This rifle will be used primarily for hunting, with a little informal target shooting in the off season.  I guess the question is; what are the recommendations/options for 3F loads in 54 caliber?
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline wattlebuster

Re: loading 3f in a 54 cal. rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:39:59 PM »
Lot of people use 3f in 54s. The pressure will be a little higher so I would start out with about 70 gr an work up a accurate load from there
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »
I have always used 3fff in just about all ML guns. From .29 to 10 bore.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 03:58:07 PM »
I have always used 3fff in just about all ML guns. From .29 to 10 bore.

Same for me. I shot 120 grains of DuPont 3fg in my 54 caliber "Hawken".
Also used it in Colt pistols of all calibers's and Remingtons,Whitney's etc.
Works fine and in the early 1950's,black powder of any kind was not easy
to find and when it was found it was 3fg.
I did little with shotguns but the few I owned IF fired at all were stoked with 3fg.

Bob Roller

thimble rig

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 04:21:16 PM »
When using 3 f in bigger bores  past fifty.Does it tend giving you more fowling than if you are using 2 f?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 04:31:54 PM »
Not in my experience. Seems to burn cleaner than 2 f. But could be just my guns an loads I use.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 05:11:42 PM »
I am nearing completion of 54 cal. Issac Haines.with a 39 inch C weight Rice bbl. Only powder I have is 3F Goex, of which I have a good supply.  I'm unaware of any source in my neck of the woods (Western New York) where I black powder is sold and buying a case of 2F is out of the question.

This rifle will be used primarily for hunting, with a little informal target shooting in the off season.  I guess the question is; what are the recommendations/options for 3F loads in 54 caliber?

I have the exact same Rice barrel (I think its 38" not 39") and have used 70 Grains of Goex 3F for hunting ever since I built it about 10 years ago. Shoots good and plenty of power for our small VA Whitetails.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline RichG

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 06:34:08 PM »
If you pick up copy of the old lyman black powder manual from the 70's they ran a test between 2f and 3f. you get a little more velocity with 3f and use a little less powder. since your burning less powder and the pressure is higher there tends to be less fouling.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 06:41:28 PM »
Always used 3 fff in a .54 and all other calibers
out hunting i just prime with 3fff too,,!!
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 07:35:19 PM »
If you pick up copy of the old lyman black powder manual from the 70's they ran a test between 2f and 3f. you get a little more velocity with 3f and use a little less powder. since your burning less powder and the pressure is higher there tends to be less fouling.

Interesting observation, Rich.  We've found almost exactly the same thing when testing 3F - slightly higher speeds for any given load - in the larger bores, .40 and up, about 10gr. seems to even out the speed. What we have not found in ANY rifles thus tested, is less fouling with 3F.  Most of us here use 2F in .50's and larger as 2F usually gives better accuracy at any velocity level and same fouling - no buildup.

For all my guns, I like to have accuracy loads developed (& recorded) for both 3F and 2F.  That way, if I'm ever stumped for powder, I can use the other with equal ease, accuracy and point of impact - found that to be the same when the speed is the same.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rsells

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 02:54:00 AM »
I use FFF up through .54 cal. and switch to FF for anything above .54.  I have been using 1 turn in 66 twist, and most seem to like 70 gr.  However, when I get a new rifle, I shoot groups starting at 50 gr increasing it in 5 gr increments to determine what charge works best.  Once I find the sweet spot, I sight the rife in and use that charge for target as well as hunting.  I practice a lot at different yardages and learn where the rifle is groups at those yardages and adjust my point of aim on the target when hunting.  It has worked good for me for the past 40 years.  Good luck, and enjoy working up the load.  That is part of the fun.
                                                                                                       Roger Sells

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 03:27:00 AM »
I use 3F in everything including my shotguns.  Higher velocity with less powder and fouling.

Offline Dewey

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 03:54:50 AM »
I not only use 3F in my 50 cal flintlock, but also in my Chief's trade gun (62 cal).   8)
Still fine tuning, but currently using 70 gr 3F in the latter.
Still using 4F to prime, but that is just until I run out of it.

Offline little joe

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 11:50:45 AM »
I us
e 3

I use 3f in most applications up to  and including 54 cal. however  I don,t use heavy loads. They used to tell us 2f in anything over 45  cal. There is a safety factor here at some point.

Offline BJH

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »
I use fffg in all my guns including my .58. My heaviest hunting loads top out at 80 grains for my .45 cal through.58. Deer just find these rifles just poisonous. I generally use .55 grains for target work and trail walk shooting. BJH
BJH

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 09:33:23 PM »
In my .54 3F is the only thing I've ever used.  In fact, 3F is what I use in everything up to and including .62.  There are a couple of loads using 2F I've experimented with and sometimes use in two guns.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Sharpsman

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 10:04:02 PM »
Me thinks I'll stay with KIK 2F! Here's my MO! I load the rifle at end of the day after cleaning and run one damp patch of olive oil down to the ball. Next day I run one dry patch down the bore....afix a cap and shoot. The two shots at the top of this target were fired with 100 grs. KIK 2F from 60 yards using a 6 o/clock hold. The next five shots were made with what I call a target load of 90 grs., same powder using the same hold. I cut this target out of the 100 yard smallbore target used for NRA .22 competition as I have a pile of them and put on a cardboard holder with a staple at top and bottom. First shot drove the staple out at the top but the target stayed afixed to the cardboard. Ten ring measures 2" diameter! I think I've found my load!

Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

My theory has always been that one won't find what any particular rifle likes without trying various loadings but THEN when you find what's accurate....stay with it rather than constantly chasing the golden chalice of utopia! ;D ;)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 11:28:01 PM »
WOW! That's alot of powder in my book. Never had a rifle that you had to shoot that much in to get it to shoot. I'll bet there is another accuracy node between 60-80gr.
What caliber?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Sharpsman

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 08:39:43 PM »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 08:57:09 PM »
Good shooting! Certainly works for you.  Since most of our shooting is 50yards and further, we also generally use a little more powder than many people.  In all of my guns, I use the most accurate load.  Most would think of them as hunting loads, but for me, they are the most accurate loads.  My favourite rifle seems to shoot reasonably well with a small load (for it's calibre), only 82 to 86gr. 2F GOEX which is the current 'measure' attached to the horn I use with this rifle. I lost my 3 dram (82gr.) measure, which I used to use. If getting serious with longer range accuracy, the rifle demands I use 140gr. 2F GOEX - also my old 165gr. 2F hunting load of the 1980's still gives the same accuracy at 140gr.2f gives today - just kicks more, is all. None of these loads requires any sort of cleaning during a day's shooting.  My Baby's horn holds almost 1 1/2 pounds - that's only good for 75shots with the 140gr. measure, but if I skimp out on powder for a bunch of those shots, I can made 1 1/2 pounds of powder last for over 100shots.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:03:37 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V