Author Topic: Beding compounds  (Read 2797 times)

Red Owl

Beding compounds
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »
One of the BP magazines had a recent article on the pros and cons of bedding compounds.  I prefer not to use them but in the past I used micro-bed for small areas that I screwed up, like a pipe inlet that wasn't solid, etc.  In any event I don't think micro-bed is still available and I was wondering if there was some other putty like compound that could be mixed up in small batches that would work. 

Offline JCKelly

Re: Beding compounds
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:44:59 PM »
I have fond memories of Micro-bed from when I was a thin guy with black hair. Brownells,  www.brownells.com has maybe three pages of good bedding compounds. Haven't used any bedding stuff any lately, but their "Acra-Bed pre-colored expoxy" looks like the modern equivalent to Microbed. Should be convenient to use in very small batches.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Beding compounds
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:13:03 AM »
One of the BP magazines had a recent article on the pros and cons of bedding compounds.  I prefer not to use them but in the past I used micro-bed for small areas that I screwed up, like a pipe inlet that wasn't solid, etc.  In any event I don't think micro-bed is still available and I was wondering if there was some other putty like compound that could be mixed up in small batches that would work. 

My wife and I used to work at a place that used Micro-Bed by the case. My wife has probably used more of it than everyone here combined. I didn't like it and use Brownell's Acra-Glas Gel and dye it to color I want. Better stuff by far in my experience. Can be made almost any color brown, green, orange, black.... With the proper dye. Mixes 50-50 like Micro-bed.
For some things the fluid Acra-Glas is better. Locking in re-enforcement rods etc.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine