Author Topic: Becky Lock Frizzen  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
Becky Lock Frizzen
« on: February 01, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »
I am going to get a extra frizzen for my Becky lock from I guess R.L. Davis in about a month.
I know these come not hardended. I can't do it myself so whats the best course for me? I will
be in Friendship in June for the shoot and thought about having the Armory there do it, but I
think they only do case harding. Can anybody out there help me?  Thank You in advance.
The Pistol Shooter

long carabine

Re: Becky Lock Frizzen
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »
 Frizzen, TOW sells a chemical called kensinite and they give you directions to boot! Check out there website www.trackof thewolf.com Probably have what you need. Tim

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:26:38 AM »
i'd email RE Davis and ask them how to harden and temper the frizzen.  They'll get right back to you with the info and then you can decide if you are up to that or not.  It's quite simple, and I've been down this road - that's how I found out.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 10:32:10 PM »
Do as Taylor suggests. Call Davis. I'm pretty sure that Davis frizzens are cast of 1095 steel. While it won't hurt to add a little carbon to the surface, using Kasnite, 1095 frizzens are through hardening and will crack if quenched in water, as would be done when case hardening.

Let us know what Davis suggests.

God Bless,
J.D.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 04:58:17 PM »
There are a couple of things that can make 1095 crack in water, and they are not intuitive.

First, water isn't an uniform quench. Layers of steam form and collapse continually. Water cools well, steam does not, so you are getting different cooling rates from one area to next. 

Different cooling from one area to another means distortion, and leads to cracking.

That is why your good ol' blacksmith moved the steel in a figure 8, in the quench, to clear off the steam.

A faster AND more uniform quench, with less distortion and less chance of cracking is to quench in salt brine. 10% table salt in water, which I think is about 13 ounces of salt in a gallon of water, does quite well.

The other thing is that in the casting process, and in the anneal if the cast frizzens are annealed in air by the supplier, some of the surface carbon burns out. That makes the surface not harden as much as the inside. So you might think that softer surface wouldn't crack. But it does. It cracks because steel expands, gets permanently larger, when it is hardened. The more carbon, the more it expands. So if the surface has less carbon it expands less than the metal underneath, hence it is stretched and it cracks.

If you use a bit of Kasenit on the frizzen you may--may--restore some of that lost carbon, with less chance of quench cracking. I don't know if the Kasenit here is a real practical advantage or just Feel Good, but at least I don't think it hurts.

This is basic, working, heat treat practice.

billd

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »
Won't they harden the frizzen for you?  Can you send them the lock? Davis is real fast with repairs, at least they were with a trigger I sent back last month.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:17:36 PM by billd »

northmn

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »
I have refitted frizzens to existing locks and prefer them unhardened.  Problem with factory hardened locks is that they are completely hardened.  I have an L&R Durrs Eggs that could use a little final fitting and need to grind off some flashing on the frizzen.  If I don't it is still a fair fit.  You harden a frizzen by holding it with a pliers or whatever over the screw hole.  As to Kasenit, and the hardening recipe, find out from Davis.  Some use different steels.  Also some like myself oil harden using transmission fluid.  All hardeneing mediums should be relatively warm.  Water is recommended at 150 degrees to prevent cracking. When I hardened my L&R frizzen recently I did not use Kasenit and it sparks very well.

DP