Author Topic: New Wood Source  (Read 7211 times)

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
New Wood Source
« on: October 14, 2015, 01:29:31 AM »
Public Service Announcement

On my way to an event at Ft Roberdeau in central Pennsylvania this weekend I stopped in and visited with Tom Fornicola who is a relatively new dealer in gunstock blanks for muzzleloaders.Tom previously had a wood/duplication business that he closed several years ago.Finding he missed it he is starting up again.While his inventory is'nt huge ( he is adding to his inventory regularly)his wood looked very nice  with close attention being paid to the grain in the wrist and very generous grading.He has both Red and Sugar Maple in stock along with some cherry.He also has some blanks that will take a 48" barrel.He will photograph wood if you're not close by.I have enclosed a copy of his current price list and email,well worth checking out!!!

Mitch Yates

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:46:10 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline tiswell

Re: New Wood Source
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 07:29:34 PM »
Mitch,
    +1 on Tom and his blanks. I only got to talk to him briefly as I was headed out from the fort. A friend has been using his blanks for the last couple guns and they are the cleanest stuff that I have seen.

Bill Nash

billd

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 01:14:21 AM »
Where is he located?

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »
Bill

He's in Bellfonte PA

Mitch

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »
Bill

He's in Bellfonte PA

Mitch

I thought I recognized the name and was going to ask if he's in Bellefonte.  I'll touch base with him, thanks.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 04:24:03 PM »
I realize this is an old post, but I though it worth a response since I recently finished a transaction with Tom.

I contacted Tom by email, and he was quick to reply to all correspondence and provided excellent photos and descriptions of the various pieces of wood I was interested in.  He was quite helpful in selecting a blank that would be of appropriate length and density, and a real pleasure to communicate with in general.  The blank I purchased is a solid beauty.

I will do business with him again, no hesitation!  Thanks for the recommendation Mitch!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Gjantz

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 03:30:45 PM »
To all on the forum,
I am a reader on (a lot of reading) the forum and rarely post. Mainly because I am learning a huge amount here, and my questions are normally answered if I keep reading.
But I would like to add that I came across this post and reached out to Tom thru email. He was quick to reply and after a few emails and a call or two I now have my order in the last phase of shipping. Tom is a great asset to my (as I am in the flintlock waste land called Iowa) ability to obtain the desired wood I need to bring the build to the quality pictured in my mind. Of course I still have the ME factor yet to deal with but I will contact Tom again as I continue on the new builds. Give Tom an email, I think you will be very pleased.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 03:58:42 PM »
Thanks Mitch, his prices seem very fair!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 05:19:15 PM »
I bought several stock blanks from Tom and had him deliver them directly to Mark Weader who does my stocks (about 45 min away). Tom was good to work with, gave me competitive prices and was very quick to deliver them to Mark.

I would not hesitate to do more business with him.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Gjantz

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 12:58:10 AM »
Yes, one of the stocks I purchased from Tom is for a Gillespie rifle. Look forward to the build Dennis.
Greg

Gjantz

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 09:26:59 PM »
Received my stock wood from Tom today. 3 pistol, 3 rifle stocks, and all are exactly what I was looking for. Tom texted pictures of each of the stocks I was looking for and my approval on each. In fact I could not decided on a walnut or maple stock for a planned Gillespie rifle. So I took both and still have the same issue of which uneven after i have them in my hands. Tom was so helpful and easy to work with and help steer me toward the choices. I will be contacting Tom again for more stocks. I may not have a rifle in mind but one of the biggest parts is selecting the stock wood.
I can't say enough about the help Tom gave and I recommend him to all.
Greg