Author Topic: Black walnut filler?  (Read 3098 times)

Hemo

Black walnut filler?
« on: April 11, 2016, 02:16:03 AM »
I'm in the finishing phases of an English-style American flint fowler stocked in black walnut. Carving is done, stock whiskered several times. The grain is pretty open-pored. Ordinarily I'd stain first, then seal liberally with LMF sealer. I think this stock would soak up a ton of sealer before the pores close. There is some old stuff, still manufactured, by the name of Herter's French Red sealer, which is supposed to be a good walnut filler with a rich reddish color. People report restoring old Winchesters and the like with this stuff. I have never seen it used on an 18th century style piece. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, would you apply it (or another walnut sealer) before final staining?

Thanks,

Gregg

Offline FDR

Re: Black walnut filler?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 02:31:59 AM »
Try a couple of coats of "Waterlox original" to seal the stock.  Rub any excess back and apply your oil finish. I like Tru Oil.

Fred

Online davebozell

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 03:12:43 AM »
Chambers also has a filler for walnut.  I haven't tried it yet, but will on my next project.

Offline little joe

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 03:33:34 AM »
French red from Brownells works for me.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 04:04:50 AM »
Gregg,

I've used the Herter's French Red on several occasions.  It's the same thing little joe mentioned, from Brownell's.  I really like it, and have had excellent results.  I've never used it with a stain.  The "French Red" acts as an oil stain by itself, which results in a very nice color (to me anyway).  If you were to use it in conguction with a stain, I'd probably stain first, since the filler will act as a block to penetrating stains.  Probably best to try it out on a scrap piece of wood first....  Hope that helps.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Hemo

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 04:06:01 AM »
French red from Brownells works for me.

Thanks, LittleJoe and Ed, (and others), I think I may give the Herter's French Red a try. (On a scrap piece first, of course.)

Gregg
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:09:07 AM by Hemo »

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 04:10:24 AM »
Chamber's filler is black.  I like it on a muzzle loader as it makes the finished gun better.  It may sound a little odd, but it works great.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.