Author Topic: looking for rifle in this print  (Read 3997 times)

Offline blienemann

looking for rifle in this print
« on: April 10, 2016, 12:55:53 AM »
I am stocking a version of this rifle - traded to Houston Harrison about 20 years back in exchange for creating this fine drawing.  Houston apparently restored the original and made a copy of it.  I've talked with his son and others, and no one knows where the rifle or copy went.  If you are aware of either, I would like to see photos or more detail.  Please contact me by email from my profile.  Thanks, Bob

Offline lexington1

Re: looking for rifle in this print
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 02:47:15 AM »
Hey, you are in luck! I acquired this Jaeger a few years back. It was a basket case and was well on it's way to the scrap heap. The fellow I got it from had sold off the brass parts. I saw the ad for the original parts and inquired about them. Although he had sold them he had a set of castings made by the Rifle Shoppe from the original parts and he still had what was left of the original. I bought it up and sent it to Ron Luckenbill, who did a fantastic job of bringing it back to life.

Here is a bunch of pics that I loaded on to photobucket for you: http://s155.photobucket.com/user/theresasink/library/Early%20Jaeger?sort=3&page=1

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 01:54:49 PM »
Hey Wes,
      When I saw the above post, I immediately thought that the gun looked familiar, spent some quality time with that one.   It was a great little rifle.   The hardest thing was getting the new castings to fit the old mortises.  Real nice carving on that one. 

Ron

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
The Rifle Shoppe made Molds from the original parts. No telling if the same person owns it now, but you might enquire with Jess at TRS. I have never seen photos of this Rifle and would be interested in adding them to my Library.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 05:17:38 PM »
Ron, The rifle is now owned by Lexington1 above, contact him as I am sure he will be glad to share photos.  I also have photos from the restoration.

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline blienemann

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 07:42:16 PM »
Lexington, Ron, Dennis and alr.com - thank you!!  What a great resource this is.  Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 11:13:02 PM »
Great save on that old gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 03:07:48 AM »
Yes, that is a great save, Ron did a wonderful job. I find it hard to understand why someone would start
selling parts off of it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:59:36 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline lexington1

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 05:11:42 AM »
Ron is super talented and is a great friend, but I'm sure when I sent him this he was thinking 'Oh h**l no!', lol. What's weird is that the gentleman that I bought this from had a set of castings of the original furniture that was on the gun, cast by The Rifle Shoppe, but had sold the original set. Somewhere the original set is floating around for it.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 05:23:12 AM »
It would really be something if someone saw this and had, or new the person who had, the original parts
and you could get them back!

Offline lexington1

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 06:03:34 AM »
That would be awesome!