Author Topic: Late Ketland conversion, Thank you Jim Chambers  (Read 3625 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Late Ketland conversion, Thank you Jim Chambers
« on: April 08, 2016, 08:45:09 PM »
As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a client who wants a late Virginia style rifle fairly ornate.  No problem until he threw in a monkey wrench saying, "I want my gun to be percussion".  No problem, we will convert a flintlock to percussion, that way we can use a lot of pre percussion details and still be historical correct.  At first I thought I would just purchase a late Ketland lock from Jim Chambers and remove all the flint parts and convert it to percussion.  Not wanting to have all the flint parts collecting dust I my shop, I gave Jim a call, told him what I was looking for and he said I can make that for you.  I was fully expecting to have to remove the pan and install a hammer on the stripped down lock plate.  To my surprise, when I opened up the package from Jim yesterday, there was a completed percussion conversion of his late Ketland flintlock, hammer and all.  All I need to do is fit the lock plate to a powder drum and inlet.  I won't say on the forum what Jim charged me ,  but I did save my client a sizeable amount of money off the price of the flint version.  Best of all, I will not have to do any conversion work or have spare parts sitting around collecting dust.  

This might be great way to go for those of you wanting a percussion version of this lock for your Jim Kibler mountain rifle kit,

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 03:52:04 AM by David Rase »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Hats off to Jim Chambers
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 10:36:10 PM »
Jim Kibler...are you reading this? 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

kaintuck

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 03:05:48 AM »
Sacrilage...... :D.....ALL rifles are supposed to be flint.....and now your casting doubts amongst the brethren......... :o

Marc n tomtom

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 03:20:06 AM »
I built a percussion once In 1963.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 03:50:51 AM »
I built a percussion once In 1963.
Jerry,
For some reason I am having a run on percussion rifles.  This will be my third one in 6 months.  I blame it on the public education system.  ;D
David

Offline Richard Snyder

• Starting Member
Re: Late Ketland conversion, Thank you Jim Chambers
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »
I'll bet tomtom is having an absolute fit!  (It is Great, though, that Jim Chambers is such a good person and dealer)

thimble rig

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 03:14:02 PM »
Yeah their good people.Jim might want to put that lock on the list that he produces I bet it would be a good seller.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 07:27:21 PM »
That's a nice look to that lock ;). I have a Tenn. rifle in the queue that is slated to be flint BUT ---- maybe I'll have to build two now ???
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb