Author Topic: Alex Henry  (Read 10509 times)

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Alex Henry
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 04:13:27 PM »
I assume you mean paper patched bullets?

A couple of years ago I bought a PP mold and tried the bullet on the right in my first Don Brown Alex Henry.  I have for several years shot the grease groove bullet in the middle.  The GG bullet does very well in that rifle.  I have won several match with it and set 3 national records.  I can get a 1" group with it at 100 yards.

I wanted to try the PP to see if I could get the rifle shooting even better.  Shot it a couple of years ago at Oak Ridge TN and it worked OK, but at 1,000 yards I could not keep it on the paper, during the match I switched back to my GG and finished I think in 3rd place.

Last year shooting my Rigby I got it shooting 1.25" groups at 100 yards with the PP bullet.  With the paper patch bullet last year in the World long range match I won 2 bronze medals and 2 golds, including setting a new world record at 900 yard, I shot a 67 3-V out of 75.  The old record was I think 62 or 63.

A couple of weeks ago at Oak Ridge I won the 1,000 yard match with the PP, and placed 2nd overal.

I will certainly give the PP a try with this rifle and will see what shoots the best.

Fleener

Nice. How much powder? You're spankin' my BPS sharps and Rolling block with that thing. ;D

The ONLY advantage the breech loaders have is easy loading but the loading of brass cases can become a second career and is why I got away from it. I shot at Ralph Marcum's Hooten Old Town matches in McKee,Ky. for a few years but that shut down over insurance issues. Good shoot with good people. I always said I shot as a side line and the real reason I went was to get more arteries stopped up at a local eatery with all the old fashioned meals.Fine doin's,great times.

Bob Roller

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 04:34:19 PM »
Hi Snapper.  IMO the main advantage of the breach loader is a] speed  , enabling one to take advantage of conditions b]  less fatigue i.e. not having to stand and load etc etc
We were at times somewhat crowded at the matches in Ottawa, with up to 3 shooters on one target.  20 minutes to fire 10 rounds for score + up to 5 sighters is pushing it for me. Getting into the "zone", heart rate slowed etc can be a problem with pushed for time

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 08:09:13 PM »
In the 1800's when dealing with dangerous game, the hardened round ball in muzzleloading guns ruled supreme.  The early breech loading systems were not strong enough, thus not powerful enough for dangerous game.  Since muzzle loaded conical projectiles had to be pure or almost pure lead, thus they lacked the penetration required for killing heavy dangerous game due to their almost instant expansion reducing penetration.

That is why round balls (hardened) ruled into the 1880's, with larger and larger bored guns - 4 bore being the larges I have heard of. Baker himself had a conical mould made for his 4 bore double, with a short 3 bore weight of conical ball, thus 2,333grains, but of course, it had to be soft lead and thus lacked penetration on elephant.  He noted this bullet led him into such 'scrapes' that he eventually gave up the conical ball as being useless in killing dangerous game - with a muzzleloading rifle.

Once the stronger breech loaders were developed, a hardened smaller diameter bullet could be used, giving sufficient penetration to dispatch those dangerous fellows.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 10:35:44 PM »
Awesome rifle Snapper!  A beauty for certain.  Don't tell TOF I said that.....  ;D

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline snapper

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 01:03:41 AM »
In the Rigby I was shooting 70 and 75 grains of 2 F swiss.  It really like the 70 grain load and did not shoot well with a larger powder charge.

In the World match I had 2 misses out of 15 for score.  Those 2 misses cost me first place in the original class for the agg.  I got 3rd in the agg.

So, I think my bullet was unstable at 1,000 and it cost me dearly. 

A few weeks ago I worked up a load combination that the rifle really liked using 86 grains of 2F swiss.   It shot great at 100 yards.  Took it to Oak Ridge and it shot well, and I got first at 1,000 yards. 

I needed to get my FPS up to around 1300, and with the 86 grains I was able to do that.

My PP is a 1:16 area for hardness and is around 528 grains.  It is a very hard bullet for most ML shooters and the bullet is also very pointed.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 02:47:54 AM »
Very nice rifle. That is a sport I've wanted to indulge in for many decades, but never got around to it. Sad is me.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline snapper

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 02:08:53 PM »
It is a different sport, certainly one that is not overly popular.  Most people look at you like you are telling a lie if you say you shoot 1,000 yards with a ML, especially without a scope..

Read the book "Irish Riflemen in America"  It is written by of the Irish that came over for one of the "world" matches.

These matches were a big deal back in the 1800's.  Seems like everyone in the USA knew about the matches and thousands would turn out to watch the matches.  The President of the USA even knew about what was going on.

I found it a very interesting book.

The getting up and down does or can take its toll.  Sept at the World match we had 3 people impacted by the heat.  South Africa, Australian and I cant remember the country the other shooter was from all were treated for heat and spent time at the hospital.

The world match is every odd year.  Next year it is in Australia and I am making plans and saving my money to go.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 03:13:32 PM »
We hosted the match here at Connaught some 20 years ago. I was shooting a Sharps back then, but it was extremely interesting to see the Brits with many using original  19th C.  ML's  I love this type of shooting, but the range/match fees are getting prohibitive