Author Topic: Shawn Webster on the blog  (Read 4834 times)

Offline louieparker

Shawn Webster on the blog
« on: April 08, 2016, 04:34:44 PM »
Shawn Webster has a very cool rifle on the blog today.
Check it out.....LP

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Shawn Webster on the blog
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 05:09:42 PM »
Yeah, I thought it was pretty neat too!

Jim
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:10:02 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 06:39:07 PM »
Yes indeed, major cool effort.

Thom

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 12:01:49 AM »
I have many questions. Does anyone know this rifle?

Offline QuanLoi

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 04:22:14 AM »
A VERY beautiful gun...  An extremely eclectic and original rifle.  I spent a long time looking at it.

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 07:38:00 AM »
I spent a long time admiring it this afternoon, thinking "I bet someone posts on ALR about this one."  Had a busy day but checked in here tonight and... yep!   ;D   I like it, too.
Jerry

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 02:27:40 AM »
Really like this rifle. Truly a unique rifle. Defianatly different. Chips,dots an tacks an the bone tip butt plate is really cool!

Offline jrb

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 03:03:07 PM »
Lots of stuff going on, I like the carved rattlesnake with glass bead eyes and tail rattles. What a different piece.!

Hemo

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 06:35:09 PM »
I like it too, though I have lots of questions as well. Is this piece intended to be a purely contemporary creation, or lie within a certain historical context? Architecture suggests Lehigh valley, though the deep dished butt, iron furniture, and single lock screw says southern mountain. Lock suggests 19th century, but sliding patchbox says 18th. The composite buttplate is certainly unique, combination of bone, steel, and is that dark horn in the middle? Overall decoration, carving, and engraving are very charming, neat, and folk-arty. A very pretty and unusual gun!

Gregg

Offline louieparker

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 08:53:22 PM »
Gregg

I have seen similar butt plates on Southern rifles. I can't see exactly what Shawn did at the toe but assume the toe plate is a complete wrap around . This gives protection to the toe plate and certainly strengthens the toe. Without that wrap around it wouldn't take much of a lick to break off the toe.  I have seen this used on the heel of the butt plate as well. A two piece iron butt plate with nothing in the middle. I liked the look.
I have seen one southern rifle without a butt plate and a sliding wood box. The way Shawn did his with the inlay in the butt a great idea. I may be alone on this, but when I look at the photos I see Southern.  No where in Pa. come to my mind.
I don't know Shawn but he is one talented dude.. I think the term "Artist" is  over used, but it definitely applies to him ......LP
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:29:57 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 09:53:55 PM »
I like it, muzzle to butt! Well done, sir.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Hemo

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 01:15:26 AM »
Gregg

I have seen similar butt plates on Southern rifles. I can't see exactly what Shawn did at the toe but assume the toe plate is a complete wrap around . This gives protection to the toe plate and certainly strengthens the toe. Without that wrap around it wouldn't take much of a lick to break off the toe.  I have seen this used on the heel of the butt plate as well. A two piece iron butt plate with nothing in the middle. I liked the look.
I have seen one southern rifle without a butt plate and a sliding wood box. The way Shawn did his with the inlay in the butt a great idea. I may be alone on this, but when I look at the photos I see Southern.  No where in Pa. come to my mind.
I don't know Shawn but he is one talented dude.. I think the term "Artist" is  over used, but it definitely applies to him ......LP

The only thing that suggested Lehigh to me was the low comb, "Roman nose" curvature, and slender curvy architecture extending into the lock panels. Agree, nothing else looks very Pennsylvania. On the buttplate, isn't that a piece of separate material between the bone and the iron? I'm thinking brown horn.

Gregg
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:30:57 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline louieparker

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 01:49:47 AM »
It didn't strike me as anything but wood.