Author Topic: stock finish  (Read 3263 times)

Offline dapper

• Starting Member
stock finish
« on: April 13, 2016, 08:44:31 PM »
Has anyone ever had to take polyurethane off of a stock? I have one that I like the color of, but is finished in very glossy poly.  I would like to take the poly down with steel wool and finish (new top-coat) with tung oil or Danish oil. Anyone have experience or advise?

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: stock finish
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 08:53:48 PM »
I don't think you are going to get all the poly off without some kind of stripper. I had a similar problem with a Harper's Ferry made by Zoli that had a poly sealer, that took aircraft epoxy stripper to remove. It came out good, but I had to go back to square one to make it happen.

Hungry Horse

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 09:22:35 PM »
You might be able to rub it down with fine steel wool and wax it.  That will sometimes give a nice low sheen, while providing good protection.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 11:43:31 PM »
Thanks, HungryHorse - I think - I have an old Zuoave with shiny bore, stock not so much 

Offline sz

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 12:06:11 AM »
Use a very sharp knife or a piece of glass and scrape it off.

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 12:13:10 AM »
Rottenstone on a rubbing block with some kind of oil and rub the shine back to the level you want.
You don't need to remove the existing finish.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:14:14 AM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 06:16:21 AM »
Has anyone ever had to take polyurethane off of a stock? I have one that I like the color of, but is finished in very glossy poly.  I would like to take the poly down with steel wool and finish (new top-coat) with tung oil or Danish oil. Anyone have experience or advise?

Yes- with "Polystipper" - some such name. Took a couple or three coats, wiping off what loosened each time it "stopped" working, using burlap woven  cloth. That worked well, i see no other way, other than sanding and that will lead to errors.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 07:46:22 AM »
I'm with S
mallpatch with regard to drawing back the finish before resorting to stripping it. Which you can do. But then you are also going to restain and wreck what you like. Dull oil finishes are cheap work. The skill is in working a varnish then and now.

Abrasion index is: pumice and water-most abrasive, then pumice and oil, rottenstone and water, then rottenstone and oil. You DO NOT apply with a rag. Use a tooth brush in a scrubbing motion then wipe clean. Whether carving or broad open surfaces. Use the abrasion you need , but start at the bottom, the least abrasive first.A little wax after is fine.

Offline dapper

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 03:30:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for the good tips, now to figure out which to start with.