Author Topic: Edward Marshall photos?  (Read 12017 times)

NSBrown

Edward Marshall photos?
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:33:06 PM »
I have breeched and inlet the barrel on an Edward Marshall replica. The pictures I have of the original gun are from RCA, but I'd love to find more...particularly photos of the barrel tang carving and the thimbles. Suggestions?

Tony Clark

Re: Edward Marshall photos?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 09:00:29 PM »
There are a few nice color photos of the buttstock and overall gun in Three Centuries of Tradition, but not of the tang carving or the pipes. Regards, TC

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:58:09 PM »
Doesn't EK have photos on his website?  www.erickettenburg.com

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

NSBrown

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 03:37:58 AM »
Chris, thanks for suggesting Eric's site. I did find some helpful photos there...in fact his pictures directly from RCA are actually clearer than the ones in my book. Not only did I enjoy some close looks at the Edward Marshall rifle, but then  wandered around Eric'sweb site for another hour. Very informative.

I've got the thimbles solved...but that darn tang carving is still hard to make out. Oh well, we build and we learn.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 06:37:53 AM »
You need to get the plan drawing by L. H. Harrison.  Most of the vendors carry it.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Longknife

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
Here are two copies done by two different gunsmiths:

Ed Hamberg

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 05:45:39 AM »
Stuart,  I was going through some old Muzzleblasts this evening and ran across an article from John Bivins on the Edward Marshall Rifle.  The article was on the original complete with many pictures as well as a lot of dimensions.  The full color cover photo is of the Marshall rifle also.  This was in the August 1986 issue.
DMR

NSBrown

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 08:07:53 PM »
Thanks guys. As always the help is here for the asking. My collection of Muzzleblast only go back to 2001. I'll see if I can find the edition in the NMLRA archives. But I may just go with the tang carving that Longknife posted...mighty attractive.

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
 Look under" Items for sell ""page Tom Caster , a   Hero Member  , has an Albrecht/ Marshall rifle for sale and has several pictures of it.  I saw this rifle last week and it's a GEM.  I'm sure he would help you out with your questions.  Eric D. Lau  Riverdale Mi.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 03:30:08 PM »
Thanks for the plug Eric! I don't know if you saw my Marshall rifle, so here is how I handled (interpreted and/or executed) the areas in question.
None of my pics really show how much the wood bulges out around the rear pipe. EK's pics show it well but the Harrison blueprint doesn't.

Here is a link to the rest of my pics-
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa43/REXTHOMAS2/MARSHALL%20RIFLE%2009/?start=0
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:40:40 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 04:17:44 PM »
Tom, I was blown away by your Marshall. Very nice, well colored and softened. I was drawn to your carving, most excellent workmanship. Thanks for posting the pictures and link.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:18:11 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

NSBrown

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 05:02:40 PM »
Well Tom, that sure answers my question...and gives me something to aspire to. That is truly a beautiful piece o work.

The gun I am building is a wedding gift for my niece and her husband. They live on our family farm in Brown County Ohio. The farm came into our family in 1802 and is deeded as "forty acres more or less on the Waters of the Ohio, Northwest Territory."

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 07:11:11 PM »
I just noticed this rifle, and don't know if it's the one your looking for;
http://www.gregmartinauctions.com/auctions/AuctionLot.aspx?LotID=4298

If the link doesn't work, go to Greg Martin Auctions, Mar 29/30 auction, Lot #24.

John
John Robbins

Offline t.caster

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 07:19:31 PM »
Acer, I really appreciate that coming from someone of your talent! Let me point out, in light of a recent thread on incised carving...all my carving is cut in with a 1mm V-tool. I then go around the incised lines with an exacto knife to deepen the cut a little before removing the background. It may be unorthodox but it works for me. For some reason, I have no control with a knife for initial cutting in.
I don't do much of what I call the european acanthus leaf style carving that requires the stabbing-in technique on longrifles. I have yet to see an original American made longrifle that used stabbing-in technique. Jim Klein & I have had this conversation about early carving, he has some beautifully carved originals, and we both agree they were all done using a veiner, no stabbing. I'm not saying it is wrong for our contemporaries to use it if it works for them, just not necesary once the other technique is learned. I used to use stabbing & cutting methods until attending a couple seminars at Dixon's Fair in 1989 by Dave Hardy and another by Frank(?) Hruska showed how to sharpen and use (control) veiners! Once I got home and tried it I loved it and improved ever since.

Sorry if this got off on a tangent. Maybe it should be the subject of another thread.
Tom C.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 07:28:15 PM »
I just noticed this rifle, and don't know if it's the one your looking for;
http://www.gregmartinauctions.com/auctions/AuctionLot.aspx?LotID=4298

If the link doesn't work, go to Greg Martin Auctions, Mar 29/30 auction, Lot #24.

John

What the....? That's not the famous Marshall rifle we all know and love! Not even close! It may however have been owned by the Marshall family at some time as stated, I can't dispute that. But it is definately a different rifle.
Tom C.

famouseagle

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 12:06:30 AM »
The noted Marshall Rifle is on display at the Mercer Museum in Doylestown, PA.  It was donated by a member of the Marshall family in the 1920s and has been there ever since except, I believe, for a couple of years at the Heinz History Center during their F&I War exhibit.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 02:45:26 AM »
It seems to me that the 'bulge' at the entry pipe is more a function of a fairly V-shaped forearm out near the pipe coupled with bold carving, as opposed to an actual bulge as per say a dog knot on a Bess or other musket.  In other words, I don't believe there was added wood retained there to any appreciable extent.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 09:03:31 PM »
AAAAGH! I HATE dog knots!!!!  Whenever I see where someone has built a German type rifle, or an early American German-styled rifle and they put these huge swells on the fore end, it makes me want to hurl!!!

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »
I'm not a fan of huge dog knot but like the look of a very subtle swell.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline t.caster

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 10:43:30 PM »
AAAAGH! I HATE dog knots!!!!  Whenever I see where someone has built a German type rifle, or an early American German-styled rifle and they put these huge swells on the fore end, it makes me want to hurl!!!

Sufferin suchatash, I hope mine didn't make you blow yer beer !!!!
Tom C.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 02:23:20 AM »
Ye wouldn't hate dog knots if ye were a dirty dog!  Gar! 
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 05:20:14 AM »
Hundknoten  Delicious ...a little powdered sugar Maybe some Cinnamon & jelly!
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."