Author Topic: Barrel finish  (Read 3605 times)

Bob Rearley

Barrel finish
« on: April 14, 2016, 05:31:35 AM »
This has nothing to do with charcoal blueing.  A very interesting process.  Has anyone used Brass Darkening Solution aka selenious acid to color a barrel? 

Offline coopersdad

Re: Barrel finish
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 06:30:36 AM »
I've been researching barrel finishes as well, and I believe there are several posts here where Jim Kibler mentions using that to finish his barrels.  A search should bring some up.   
Mike Westcott

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 06:31:38 AM »
Davec2 has posted about using a brass darkening agent on a browned barrel for color. See here:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=35731.msg342705#msg342705

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 07:16:34 AM »
Bob, in the 80's on fancy fowlers,I did this brass black finish all the time. It requires a polished surface to look good. The best product is Brownell's 44-40.
Brass black does nothing to prevent rust. In fact, if you're doing a Hershall House antique job,  you put brass black on the places you want to pit most before applying the Clorox.
That being said, I recently handled a French fowler I made in 1985 with such a barrel that was perfect. And the gun was well used. Just keep it clean and oiled.
Today I like a translucent brown finish.

Bob Rearley

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 07:58:18 AM »
I used it on a pistol and have been putting several applications on an early barrel.  It does give a sort of worn gray look.  It may not be real durable, but I think the barrel should develop a nice patina over time.  Thanks guys, Bob

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 02:17:07 PM »
It's not a brass darkening solution.  It's cold bluing that ML guys figured out would color brass.  It was developed to blue steel.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline davebozell

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 04:53:47 AM »
I have used Historic Houseparts Brass Tarnishing Solution on the steel parts of a rifle.  I browned the parts first, then used scotchbrite to remove most of the browning.  I then applied the tarnishing solution.  Unlike using it for brass (where the parts need to be submersed), the solution only needs to be wiped on the steel.  It works very quickly.  There are pictures in a post from earlier this year if you would like to see the results.   The rifle doesn't look like much, but I was pleased with the results on the barrel and other steel parts.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 05:20:32 AM »
It's not a brass darkening solution.  It's cold bluing that ML guys figured out would color brass.  It was developed to blue steel.

This is what we're here for, digging up the roots of the issue.

and making tea or soup outta them roots if we need to

Thanks!
Hold to the Wind

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 07:41:22 AM »
Bill,

Please tell us more about this "translucent brown finish".  Maybe a picture and how it's done.  Thanks.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie