Author Topic: Barrel Profile vs. Acuracy  (Read 10810 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Barrel Profile vs. Acuracy
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 04:18:49 PM »
Barrels.... If the barrel has thin walls and is dovetailed, even the minimum depth its not uncommon to find a loose spot in the bore at the dovetails with 24" of the breech and perhaps even farther up. At least if the barrel is properly proved. These are like the small dimples seen in SAA Colt Cylinders at the lock bolt cuts from proving. A heavier wall barrel will not be as effected if at all by this. If anyone wants to test this, use a jag with a short bearing surface and a tight oiled patch and slide it up and down the bore with a GOOD, stiff rod with a bearing handle. Most people will be very surprised..... Drilling holes and staking the underlugs can form slight "bumps" in the bore.....
The extra machine work done in making a really light barrel or a swamped barrel or a 1/2 octagonal barrel cannot help the accuracy. For example a big name custom CF barrel maker drills a blank for a Garand barrel, does all the exterior machine work, then reams and cut rifles the barrel. This will maintain the bore dimension much better than doing all the machine work AFTER the bore is finished.
A button rifled barrel barrel has incredible stresses set up even if its normalized when it arrives at the plant. A barrel that is button rifled then machined with a  taper will invariably have a larger bore at the muzzle than the breech. I have never seen it fail. If the black in drilled and reamed and buttoned and then normalized it will then maintain its internal dimensions when tapered. 1/2 octagonal barrels that are not normalized before machining are even worse.
For a dedicated match rifle use a straight heavy barrel made of a piece of quality steel that is properly stress relieved. The LENGTH increases the sight radius and this will aid in accurate sight alignment. They also hang better and wobble slower than short barrels in offhand shooting.  A barrel heavy enough to really dampen the "whip" as it might be called is too heavy too shoot well off hand in most bore sizes.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 04:25:13 PM »
In thinking this over some more - I am convinced that for an accuracy gun, one needs to use as short and as stiff a barrel as can be used for the application - but long enough to efficiently burn the powder charge one has to use for the range desired & light enough to shoot, load and carry.

The longer and whippier the barrel is, the more loss in POTENTIAL accuracy. I would think my super thin, 48" A.Verner magnifies the problem of whippyiness.

Also the more dwell time when the ball is still in the barrel, which affects PRACTICAL accuracy, or how the gun can actually be shot. Still, I love those long slender barrels.
The "dwell time" is often offset by the slower "wobble" of the longer barrel. Heavy rifles also have a slower wobble than a lighter barrel. HOWEVER. NMLRA rules that prohibit the elbow resting on the chest (Schuetzen stance) can limit the effectiveness of a heavy barrel since its harder to support without the chest as a brace.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 06:27:52 PM »
I always only took head shots on squirrels with rifles. Took several with .50 and .45. Take off the head and just leave a flap of hide with ears. No rifles if I were getting them for my grandmother. I had to use shot then because she liked squirrel brains.
Daryl, what do you mean about an accurate and inaccurate load?
I have a 44" swamped Green Mtn. barrel that shoots better than I can hold. Wish it had a better lock on it though.

I have a DC LYMAN mould that is supposed to cast .400" x .400" balls. The closest cavity to the hinge, casts .394"x.400" while the furthest away hole casts 400" x .400". The .400" x .400" balls would print 1/2" to 3/4", 5 shot groups at 50 yards off the bags.  The other ball printed, at best, 2" to 2-1/2" groups.  In an offhand test of these two loads, the inaccurate load made over a 4" offhand group while the accurate load printed about 1 1/2" offhand. Stands to reason & is totally local.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V