Author Topic: Green River Rifle Works  (Read 6949 times)

Offline Daniel

Green River Rifle Works
« on: June 14, 2016, 11:04:19 PM »
Hope this is ok here.
I went to a nursing home to see a friend who had a knee replaced. He's good.
I met a man by the name of Greg Roberts. He said he worked there in the past with
Gary White. Lots of good stories. I do not think he has done that in a long time.
When I left he teared up. He spoke with authority on what he new. I think I'll go
back and visit again.

Daniel
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Green River Rifle Works
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:21:42 PM »
Good for you Daniel.  Yes, go see the old fellow again....  take him a gun to look at.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Daniel

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:39:10 PM »
  I'm 62 and understand the needs of our elderly. My dad is 93 in a Veterans home . Those men love to
visit. I will go see him again and take pictures too.

thimble rig

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 01:45:27 AM »
We could all learn from elderly if we just took the time to listen.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 02:46:24 AM »
They just want to be heard,you have no idea.My girls in a rehab center now and more of a old folks home.While some may not be with it some are sharp as tacks and would love the company,its like being in jail for some.I remember when I was climbing for a tree co.we where hired to clear out a wood behind an old folks home so the riff raff could not hassle the residents.We where taking a break and one of the residents a older gentleman approached us and we talked.He had a life time of tales,sharp as a tack he was and nobody to share it with.The nurses,ya whatever,doctors the same,the man just wanted to be heard and still wanted to know he was still alive if that makes sense. He said he would just like to taste a beer. I sent one of my guys out for a six pack and he said you guys are a God send, the man just wanted to be a man again.We tipped a beer together and a couple for the time we where there,couple weeks,made the man's day.We bs's about his old days,just wanted to feel human and respected and listened to.Something to be said for that Who song when they sing "hope I die before I get old" Freaken sad!

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 07:08:18 AM »
Daniel,
I am proud of you going to visit with the man who obviously had a lot of knowledge and no one to share it with. I understand what everyone is saying. I am 67 and see a generation (from observing and interacting with my own kids) that we have a younger generation that do not respect or want to hear anything anyone older than 30 years old has to say. They seem to think because they have their smart phones and iPads that they know it all. Most do not want to take the time to learn to do anything with their hands. I recently attended a gun building class and all but one said they had sons and daughters that had no interest in longrifles. I tried to get my son started building and doesn't seem to want to make the investment monetarily or time wise to learn. Some friend taught him how to do taxidermy in a short time and he feels he can make more money doing that. He and many of this young adult generation seem to see no value in anything old like antiques or seniors. Seems our society is devaluing our elders and even anything historical. I go regularly and visit my 86 years old father in law and he just enjoys having another man to talk with about anything from politics to the weather. This is just like what Joe S. was talking about in his story. All elders need to experience respect and be reassured they are still valuable human beings. This respect follows scripture right out of the Bible.

Offline Herb

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 03:59:46 PM »
This is news!  I knew Greg at the GRRW and asked one of his co-workers about him a couple of months ago.  Carl said he had committed suicide.  Where is this nursing home?  Some of the old GRRW employees might like to write him.
Herb

Windriverbob

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 04:39:27 PM »
Daniel this is great news! Phil Meek and I started the GRRW Collectors Association a few years back and we have had good success with locating most of the former employees and even have some of them building guns again. We along with a lot of others thought Greg had passed. I publish the Green River Gazette, which is our newsletter, and would love to send Greg the back issues and get him signed up as a member so he would get the new issues. Membership is free. Does he have internet access? All he would have to do is send me his e-mail address at bob@bucksnorttrading.com. I could e-mail him the past issues or if he doesn't, I would mail him hard copies. I do that for a couple of members who don't have computers. There are a number of former employees who would love to visit with him.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 05:55:26 PM »
 Wow ! I am going to see him tomorrow.
I will get any info I can. He's in a rehab unit.
He told me a story about Robert Redford and a Hawken rifle.
It's in Kansas City Missouri.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:02:38 PM by Daniel »

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 06:08:43 PM »
Good on all ya,he will love to hear from you folks. Now that's what it's all about.On a different note while visiting my girl at the rehab I have been taking over some of the residents their favorite crackers,treats ect.One lady loves feeding the birds,chipmunks bringing her a nice sack of birdfood today when I visit.Those little things can make a big difference, just a conversation can brighten up ones day.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 06:48:17 PM »
Well done, Daniel - well done indeed.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Herb

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 05:19:47 AM »
For those who like your Hawkens to look show room new, this is probably what Greg told you about Robert Redford.  After the movie Jeremiah Johnson, Redford had GRRW build him a Hawken.  I think Carl Walker did it.  Redford did not like the new look, and supposedly the crew took turns beating the stock with wrenches, chain, or whatever to put some wear on it.  Then supposedly Redford tied a lasso to this rifle and dragged it down a gravel road behind his pickup.  I do not know if this exactly happened, but I heard it from several former workers and a spouse.
Herb

Offline Daniel

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 04:23:11 PM »
  Herb,
 he told me Redford wanted it to look original. All the wear and tear of Bridgers.

Offline Herb

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 04:40:47 PM »
Thanks, Daniel.  And many thanks to WindRiverBob for his generous offer.
Herb

Offline Daniel

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 06:14:02 PM »
 You bet. It is a joy to do this for us all.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 08:44:54 PM »
 Ok Guys,
I had a great visit with Greg. About two hours. Lots of stories and pictures.
He told me it hurt him badly when Green River closed and dropped out of
the picture. He said letters and calls would be fine. He will be in rehab another week.
His address is:
Greg Roberts
8116 N. Summit St.
Kansas City , Mo. 64118
816-589-9192

Herb he remembers you.

When he gets home he wants me to come by and visit. He's 83
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 09:14:38 PM by Daniel »

Offline Daniel

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 09:15:04 PM »
  You know what it's done for me is to be patient and soak in the stories.
He's made me want a Hawken rifle again too. His art work is beautiful too.
He just laughs about the Redford story.

Daniel

Windriverbob

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 05:27:12 PM »
Thank you Daniel! I'm going to get busy and print off the past Gazette's and send them to Greg.

Windriverbob

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »
I just got back from the post office and they said his zip code is 64118.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 09:15:17 PM »
 Thanks, got it changed. That is what he wrote down.