Author Topic: Interesting Butler's Rangers Powder Horn on Ebay  (Read 15100 times)

Lee

Re: Interesting Butler's Rangers Powder Horn on Ebay
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 01:23:05 AM »
Sorry, the horn's bid price makes me suspect the horn.  Any original horn with the provenance that this one is supposed to have really would suggest a much higher reserve and/or starting bid.  I just don't see genuine, engraved, original 18th C. powder horns starting anywhere near this low on Ebay. 

As for the problems with the horn, I went through them pretty well and stand by my above critique.
Lee 

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 05:20:42 AM »
I have seen way better fakes: Don't waste your time, save your money ;)

Jim
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:31:54 PM by JWFilipski »
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Berks Liberty

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 03:39:16 PM »
Tom my guess the horn was more of a storage horn vs. being carried solo all the time considering the size.  The thickness at the base end is not surprising either as the 'lip' would have to be rather substantial enough to withstand carrying such a load and not break.  The base plug almost looks as though it were cleaned up some.  As far as being planed?  Our forefathers were certainly expert at use of a hand plan and scrapers.  Hard to tell from only a picture though.
Gary

Gary,

Has the seller answered any questions to you?  I sent the selller a couple of questions and he hasn't responded.  Very suspect.  My main question is where did he get it?  And can he prove it is 18th C. I guess that scared him away.  But then again he has people bidding on it and doesn't care.  Stay away far away!

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 03:59:11 PM »
Yes, finally heard back from the seller yesterday.  His words, not mine, " I wish I had some actual history for you on this but all I can tell you is that it was purchased by my father at a Flea Market in NH off a man who had lots of nice rev-war items and weapons and this was all he was able to purchase. "
And there you have it, another relative involved.  I also sent another email questioning that it looked like a converted blowing horn, and not an original powder horn hoping the seller might put that language in his listing or something thereof.  Ha, yeah right.  So far nothing.  At least he would have come across as being honest and give the bidders a chance to back out.  I sure hate to see people getting the shaft.  Caveat Emptor, but stay away from this place. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 04:37:33 PM »
I can't believe anyone would bid with this sort of "documentation" :o

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

PINYONE

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2009, 05:21:39 PM »
I the Great Pinyone- will speak again on this horn. This horn will sell to a collector who can see what he wants to see in it. There is always some weird chance that it is real. The whole collecting faturnity has become the ultimate skeptics. With the help of the black powder rifle builder wanting aged firearms and horns, we are all now saying whats real - as some of the guys a real good at aging- its a double edge sword. So Pinyone says buy what you like- you never know your best friend could have made it. The lats statement the Great one will make is- the horn is going to sell for a high figure- as in all auctions -it doesn't matter where the bid starts - its where it ends. send donations to the Great Pinyone and I will buy it.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2009, 08:04:16 PM »
Hopefully, the bidders do realize that this started out as a 'Blowing Horn' and are interested in the item for this, or, maybe they like collecting do-overs.

gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 06:36:19 AM »
Well, the auction is over and the horn only brought $3,227.77.  Even if this is not a righteous horn, and I don't think it is, there were 51 bids  so more than one someone saw some value in the horn.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 02:46:57 PM »
Yes I noticed.  And, the seller must have heeded many questions as he did put in a qualifier at the bottom of the listing pretty much indicating alot of people must have said the horn was initially a blowing horn.  Whether people saw that,,,,,,,..
Gary

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2009, 05:27:21 AM »
Well at least this has made for fun conversation for us and I for one learned a lot from all of you.  We'll just all have to keep looking.

Coryjoe