Author Topic: Current project by David Rase - Queen Anne screw off barreled Carbine  (Read 3867 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
The post below was originally part of Davebozell's  "Show us your current project" thread.  The moderators have split the many projects in the original thread out into individual threads so the members can more easily ask questions and the builders can more easily answer.

Here is my current build.  It is a Queen Anne screw off barreled Carbine.  This is going to be a companion piece for a client whom I sold a pistol to several years back.  I have just completed the biggest hurdle of the entire project which was threading the breech on the receiver and making a the barrel.  The reason this was the most complicated part of the project is that the receiver comes with threads that are rough cast.  Due to shrinkage the cast threads measure 3/4" x 13.  I had to make my own die to chase the male threads on the receiver.  Single pointing the barrel threads and contouring the barrel profile was pretty much basic lathe operations.  The next item of business is swaging out a buttplate from 9 gauge sterling silver sheet.  After that the stock gets shaped and the cast in engraving is filed off I will then re-engrave the receiver and inlay the buttstock with silver wire.  If all goes well, I deliver this project at this years CLA.
David

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:43:05 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Current project by David Rase - Queen Anne screw off barreled Carbine
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 05:21:49 AM »
Here is my current build.  It is a Queen Anne screw off barreled Carbine.  This is going to be a companion piece for a client whom I sold a pistol to several years back.  I have just completed the biggest hurdle of the entire project which was threading the breech on the receiver and making a the barrel.  The reason this was the most complicated part of the project is that the receiver comes with threads that are rough cast.  Due to shrinkage the cast threads measure 3/4" x 13.  I had to make my own die to chase the male threads on the receiver.  Single pointing the barrel threads and contouring the barrel profile was pretty much basic lathe operations.  The next item of business is swaging out a buttplate from 9 gauge sterling silver sheet.  After that the stock gets shaped and the cast in engraving is filed off I will then re-engrave the receiver and inlay the buttstock with silver wire.  If all goes well, I deliver this project at this years CLA.
David

Love it Dave!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:59:25 PM »
I have a friend that has always wanted one of those. Very nifty.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

thimble rig

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 03:34:22 PM »
That's different,I like that.I cant wait to see more of the work being preformed on that piece.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 04:51:20 PM »
There are quite a number of original guns of this type at Colonial Williamsburg.  I had never seen them before, and my wife eventually had to drag m away from the exhibit.  I think it was in the basement of the old psych hospital, but am not sure.  It was at the lower level of a pedestrian passage, under a road if anyone is looking for the display.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:44:40 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 06:32:17 PM »
Well done, David - a VERY cool project!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
Great project Dave.  I have the same castings but with a pistol barrel.  Will you put sights on your carbine?

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Great project Dave.  I have the same castings but with a pistol barrel.  Will you put sights on your carbine?

dave 
Dave,
Good question.  My original concept was no sights since it is a smoothbore.  I seriously contemplated sights after reading your question but decided to stick with my original plan.  I did appreciate the question.
Dave 

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Hi David,
This work of yours is very, very impressive.  How did you dimension the powder chamber?  I assume the chamber was solid in your cast set as it is in mine.  Obviously, it has to be sufficiently deep to intersect with the vent hole.  Did you drill the vent perpendicular to the chamber of angle it forward?  Does the ball sit in a recess on top of the powder chamber?  Will the barrel have a lug for a wrench or can you get enough grip on it to unscrew it without the wrench.  Also, David, I am experimenting with variable thickness silver wire inlay to use on my current English rifle.  I am trying to achieve the look found on guns by Barbar, Dolep, and Gorgo.  That style of wire work would be perfect for your carbine.  Hopefully, I'll can get it right but regardless, I'll keep you informed if you are interested.   

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Very nifty indeed. Looking forward to seeing it.