Author Topic: "Schimmel" barn gun  (Read 6570 times)

Caihlen

"Schimmel" barn gun
« on: July 03, 2016, 08:03:14 AM »
Fellas,
I don't post much because you are all so far above me in skill and artistry than I have nothing to contribute.  I read every post however.  I have three guns under my belt.  My first, is a great shooter, and I learned a lot.  My second and third continued that learning process.  A lot of my progress can be directly attributed to what I see and read here. 

My next project will be a shooter.  No historical precedent that I'm aware of.  I want to build a barn gun, smoothbore, 20 guage.  I hunt grouse a lot up here in Montana, and I hunt deer, and elk, and bear.

My question, who can I go to to get a Lancaster style stock, with the ramrod hole drilled, and the barrel channel cut. I want to use a 42 inch octagon to round barrel, and a large silver deluxe lock.

If I'm out of bounds with this question in this elavated company please forgive me.

Ken Campbell
Ferndale, Montana

Offline wattlebuster

Re: "Schimmel" barn gun
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 02:02:29 PM »
Try David Rase or Knob Mountain or Pecatonica.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 02:56:49 PM »
You are certainly not out of bounds! We all started out  just like you, at the beginning. We are  mostly all here to share information, techniques etc.  In my mind the only dumb question is the question not asked. Usually followed by a mistake.BJH
BJH

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 03:22:56 PM »
Call Pecatonica. They supply stocks for a lot of the component kits.
Don't be afraid to post pictures of progress. A little constructive criticism can go a long way towards getting a build right.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 03:23:12 PM »
My memory has failed me ...there was a gentleman who carried a huge selection of various styles of rifle stocks, as well as a large stock of barrels . He also offered some guns "in the white"  I can't think of the name at the moment, but if he's still around, he is a not well publicized treasure.   Hopefully someone else can elaborate.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 03:24:53 PM »
Do you mean Tip Curtis?
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 05:07:49 PM »
Yes....that's him !     Well worth a look.

Offline sz

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 05:18:07 PM »
Welcome welcome welcome!

I want to say "never stay in the back and hide".
I also felt a bit like you do.  Back in about 1971
 I started building muzzleloaders when I was 15 years old and my first Mauser when I was 12.  I felt that men like Bivins, Haugh, Sanchez, House, Silver and Manderino were gifts from God, and were probably unapproachable.

I could not have been more wrong.

They are (and were) gifts to us all, I was correct about that.

But all of them were and are outgoing, friendly, helpful and simply love to teach and help others.  Some of these old masters have now passed on, and are sorely missed.  Not just because their building has stopped, but because of what kind of men they were.  True hearted and friendly to all.

Come out from the background.  Ask, Seek. The very best builders of today are also generally those that gladly share.

There are a few who hold their cards close to their chest, but very few.  Lets keep in mind that we are engaged in an art that became obsolete over 200 years ago.
Anyone that thinks they have special knowledge that they are going to keep for themselves is not thinking it through very well.  

I believe I can speak to this subject. Our art is rare and declining in comparison to the raising popularity of the modern rifles of today.  If we don't teach and offer our knowledge to others it will someday all be gone.  Lets share!
    To keep our little section of history alive and well, it is important to share our skills and knowledge.
 I'd bet 95% of the best builder today feel the same way.

What about the other 5%?

Well  if they don't want to teach you anything don't bother to ask them.
 You have 95 others that will share.
:)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:52:43 PM by Ky-Flinter »

galudwig

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 08:24:05 PM »
I would also recommend Pecatonica.  I won a cherry stock blank in a shooting match at my club.  I decided to build a smoothbore turkey gun around a Colerain turkey choke barrel with it.  I wanted the gun to feel more like a rifle for turkey hunting, so I chose Pecatonica's early Lancaster style stock pattern.  I had them cut in the lock mortise (large Siler), barrel channel (to fit the barrel profile; octagon to round and flared at the muzzle), and ramrod hole.  The barrel fit perfectly.  I think at the time it cost me about $125.  You could probably save a few dollars with them by leaving out the lock inlet and doing that yourself.  Now that I have several lock inlets form blanks under my belt, I'd probably not go with a pre-inlet lock mortise again.  

Tip Curtis also sells a kit based on a Jacob Dubbs gun that he uses the Colerain turkey choke barrels on.  I always liked the feel of that stock pattern as well. He could probaly get you a stock to your liking as well.  He advertises in the back of Muzzle Blasts magazine.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 08:31:45 PM by galudwig »

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »
Mark Weader
Jack's Mountain Stock Co
101 Cave Ln,
Mc Clure, PA 17841
(717) 543-5370

Great work, good prices and reasonable turnaround.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 11:45:53 PM »
Someone mentioned Tip Curtis Dunn Fowler...

I am 98% certain this gun is one...i know the stock came from him and it has the Colerain turkey barrel....

Bowkill from this site built the gun...

If your like more pics send me a message...

It makes a nice gun...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:35:35 PM by rich pierce »

Offline goodtime7

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 04:32:43 AM »
Another vote for Mark Weader.   Excellent work, good turn around time, multiple options.   Prices reasonable and based on the amount of work you request.  Good luck with your project. 

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 05:52:05 AM »
Just to save you a few dollars on shipping and you are going to build from a blank a lot of us out west guys use Dave Rase. He is here on the ALR, fantastic work and great turn around time. Bob

Offline Kermit

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 11:54:16 PM »
Howdy, Ken. Given your location and what you like to hunt, have you thought about a 16ga? I'm sorry I sold the one I had.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 02:29:05 AM »
    I had a fella that wanted a rifle as soon as he could possibly get it.  So i called Tip Curtis and told him what I needed and a mid grade Lancaster stock.  It was at my door in a week and the stock has nice curl from one end to the other.     Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline lowcsp

• loseyfirearms.com
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 03:49:02 AM »
There is a place in Idaho called Muzzleloader Builders Supply they have a lot of supplies including stocks there I have used them lot in the past I believe they are in Aberdeen, ID  a bit of a drive from Ferndale.www.MuzzleloaderBuildersSupply.com

Caihlen

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 03:07:16 PM »
Everyone that replied and read my post.  Thank you so much for all the kind words, and the great suggestions.  I ordered a stock, and a barrel from Pecotonica.  I have full confidence in them and have ordered from them in the past.  Again, thanks!