Author Topic: Rasps........again  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Scota4570

Rasps........again
« on: June 06, 2016, 10:52:30 PM »
So, what is the final word?  I am starting to see better reviews of Nicholson #49 and #50.  Have they gotten better lately?

Or, ?  Should I pay big money for other hand stitched rasps?  Aurora or ??

My old hardware store Nicholson's are getting ready to retire.  I have one each of the really coarse machine made ones.  I have also touched up the teeth a couple of time with diamond burs and cut off disks.  Time to replace them . 

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
Re: Rasps........again
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 12:18:01 AM »
Don't give up on them yet. Every craftsman should know about this company for file and rasp sharpening;

http://www.boggstool.com/

I've used them a lot over the years. Files and rasps tend to come back sharper than new, for a very reasonable price. If you use a Japanese saw rasp, they will also sharpen these.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 12:31:15 AM »
Don't give up on them yet. Every craftsman should know about this company for file and rasp sharpening;

http://www.boggstool.com/

I've used them a lot over the years. Files and rasps tend to come back sharper than new, for a very reasonable price. If you use a Japanese saw rasp, they will also sharpen these.

I just got back a Nicholson rasp from Boggs yesterday.  I had to be 30 years old when I found it and was pretty rusty.  It it's so sharp now it's amazing.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 07:04:57 PM »
Just a comment - Nicholson products have been machine-cut in my lifetime.
I first called on Nicholson when they were still in Philadelphia, maybe 1977 or so.
In their lobby was an antique file-cutting machine
(my employer sold high temperature alloys used for heat treat equipment. Part of their 1440F lead pots in this case).

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 06:07:04 PM »
Well, I ordered this:

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Rasp-and-File-Set-8-pc-w-Leather-Roll-File-Card-Made-in-Germany/productinfo/825-0017/

If I like them I'll report back.  Life is too short to make due with junk tools.  My old rasps are very sharp but since I sharpened them they have flat top teeth.  That makes a smooth cut with some angles but grooves at other angles. 

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:09:54 PM by Scota4570 »

James Tenaglia

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 03:30:15 AM »
I bought a number of hand stitched rasps from Liogier (France) a number of years ago and was never sorry. Great service. Go for the sapphire finish. It will probably last a lifetime on sugar maple.
Jim

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 03:22:30 AM »
I am reporting back as promised.

Regarding this :

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Rasp-and-File-Set-8-pc-w-Leather-Roll-File-Card-Made-in-Germany/productinfo/825-0017/

They arrived today.  $202 worth of trash.  They are all dull.  They don't feel sharp, my finger slides over the teeth instead of catching.  I can see the light glint from rounded over teeth with my naked eye.  None cut maple, they just skid over the surface unless you press really hard. Huge disappointment.     >:(

My old nicholson machine made rasps have been resharpened with a dremil tool a couple of times are far better.  They are 10X sharper, cut faster, and do so with virtually no down pressure.  I can' believe my old hacked junk rasps are so much better. 

I guess I'll try Liogier.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 03:31:13 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 04:35:47 AM »

Regarding this :

They arrived today.  $202 worth of trash.  They are all dull.  They don't feel sharp, my finger slides over the teeth instead of catching.  I can see the light glint from rounded over teeth with my naked eye.  None cut maple, they just skid over the surface unless you press really hard. Huge disappointment.     >:(

My old nicholson machine made rasps have been resharpened with a dremil tool a couple of times are far better.  They are 10X sharper, cut faster, and do so with virtually no down pressure.  I can' believe my old hacked junk rasps are so much better. 

I have some new Simonds rasps about14' long,American made and sharp as a razor and they're for sale.

Bob Roller

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 02:51:00 PM »

Regarding this :

Since you already have the new and dull ones from Traditional Woodworker, if you can't return them and get your money back you might think about sending them to Boggs to be sharpened.  It would be inexpensive, and though certainly not the quality of the very expensive hand cut French rasps, you'd probably have some quite serviceable rasps rather than writing off your $202.  I just got an old and rusty Nicholson rasp sharpened by Boggs for about $3 and it's scary sharp now.  Something to think about.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Telgan

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 03:09:49 PM »
Who sells Liogier in the America

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 04:25:50 PM »
I second the Boggs tool idea, great people who will make your rasps and files really sharp. I would imagine you can rescue your set for around $25 if you use Boggs then give us a report on how they came out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 04:31:34 PM »
I second the Boggs tool idea, great people who will make your rasps and files really sharp. I would imagine you can rescue your set for around $25 if you use Boggs then give us a report on how they came out.

THAT is one heck of a situation. Buy German made files and then when you get them send them to
someone who obviously knows what to do to make them work.I would have sent them back to the
seller and told them what I thought of that. Send THEM the bill from Boggs.

Bob Roller