Author Topic: Alternatives to cast locks?  (Read 7303 times)

Offline Clowdis

Re: Alternatives to cast locks?
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 09:43:58 PM »
I haven't talked to Rod England for a while. I thought about making a few 4 screw types for the Alex Henry
but never got around to it an now I doubt if I ever will.Can you post a picture of the lock you got from Rod?
I'm curious about anyone that's as crazy as I am/was on making a lock with no cast internal parts.

Bob Roller
[/quote

I couldn't figure out how to post a photo on this forum so I just e-mailed it to you. You can post if you like, but photography isn't my strong point. I know for sure that the plate is machined but the internals and hammer may very well be cast, but they are finished quite nicely.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Alternatives to cast locks?
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 12:47:31 AM »
I have never had any problems with any of the cast springs from Chambers, L&R, or Davis. I have also had a hundred or so cast for myself out of 5160 or 1095. never had any trouble as long as they were hardened and tempered correctly. when I bought any L$R locks or parts I always temper them again because I think they are too hard. I have made a lot of tumblers from scratch out of tool steel and sears out of 1075. Even mild steel is OK if you case harden them sufficiently. I never have made locks for anybody except myself. I would classify lock making  as slave labor. I wouldn't make a lock for anybody for less than $2000.00

After first 4 or 500 it no longer is slave labor but it is labor intensive. I have posted my ideas
on lock making here and I won't belabor the point. Cast steel plates,cocks,hammers and frizzens
are OK but the mechanism or the "engine" as I call it is a specialized thing to me and I must
make sure I send out something that might stay together at least for one season.

Bob Roller