Author Topic: Another one......  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Gaeckle

Another one......
« on: June 16, 2016, 07:25:18 PM »
Here's another project completed....it's not flint, rather a left hand back action rifle that uses an original barrel that was reamed out and re-rifled. It is a 35 caliber (.345). The stock came from Dick Miller, the barrel was rifled by good two friends, the castings for the guard and butplate by two other friends. The capbox I got from Tim Tressel of Davis. The triggers are Davis. L&R lock engraved to replicate the many back action locks used back in the day, then aged to match the barrel. The breechplug is new as is the rib (a hollow one was used).
It is pretty much typical of what would have been around back in the day, the mid 1800's.

This was a special build made for a fellow that for years took good care of us at a known hunting expo. It is a group project with many hands in it (I just put the gun together, but there are about 10 guys in this in some way shape, or form) It is our way of saying thanks for all the good times, about 20 years worth.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Another one......
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 09:36:04 PM »
 Looks Great John, fine job guys. It defiantly looks right.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 09:36:45 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 09:47:44 PM »
Nicely done Sir, thanks for sharing. ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 10:21:59 PM »
Not crazy about back action locks but that's nice work and nicely finished. That is a really nice piece of wood.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 11:50:10 PM »
Nicely done. You know I have had an insane desire to build a Gillespie rifle with a back action lock..... :P Saw one in Jerry Nobel's book.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

sloe bear

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 12:38:47 AM »
Sorry to be the one to tell you ,but you put the lock on the wrong side , other than that a great looking rifle

thimble rig

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 01:09:35 AM »
That's a beautiful rifle.You guys done good.Is that piece of brass under the drum does it go all the way back to the side of the barrel?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 02:15:30 AM »
Nicely done. You know I have had an insane desire to build a Gillespie rifle with a back action lock..... :P Saw one in Jerry Nobel's book.

Yeah that is probably the nicest looking rifle that I have seen with a back action lock. Jerry sold that one to a descendant in Atlanta but I have never been able to find out the name. I sure would like to see that rifle in person. Phillip also made at least two, the one I have and the one Eric Gibby bought at a show in the mid-west. Here is a link to both of them here in the ALR library. http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=478.0
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 02:20:52 AM »
I think you ten guys may be on to something here. Beautiful rifle.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 02:37:24 AM »
That's a beautiful rifle.You guys done good.Is that piece of brass under the drum does it go all the way back to the side of the barrel?

That piece of brass is just an inlay, decorative only. The drum is supported by the stock just like the barrel. When inletting the drum and barrel I allow for just a smidge of excess so that when I fasten the breech plug tang to the trigger the force excerted by screwing those two together makes for a very tight support under the drum. It's actually compressed, very tight.