Author Topic: Frederic Sell Rifle  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Niall Sadler

• Starting Member
Frederic Sell Rifle
« on: June 26, 2016, 07:51:25 PM »
Awhile ago I finished a Frederick Sell rifle I mentioned I was going to make in my last posting. As usual I have been rather tardy and posting pictures of it.  It is has a .50 Rice barrel and a wood stock from Harrison Gunstocks. Any comments are welcome as I try to improve my skills with gun project I start.

Take care. Cheers Niall

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Frederic Sell Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 07:56:58 PM »
My, My --- Very Nice Indeed ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 08:02:54 PM »
Some real nice work there

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 10:00:17 PM »
I seldom comment of such rifles, as I don't feel qualified to comment.  However, I know gorgeous when I see it.  I feel the same way about your double barrel. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 10:24:47 PM »
I like your version of the Distelfink bird on the patchbox. 

Distelfink = Thistle Finch = Goldfinch in our modern terminology. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 11:21:51 PM »
So, Where have you been hiding? Can you tell us something about your self?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 11:23:24 PM »
Id say your skills are doing just fine. Nice gun
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

thimble rig

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 03:58:25 AM »
Beautiful rifle.You do fine work.And that double barrel is sweet.Do you have anymore hiding in the closet?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 04:19:59 AM »
Excellent craftsmanship!!!!!!!!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 04:36:09 AM »
I agree, very nice. I have always liked Sell's rifles and you did a nice job on one.

Hemo

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 04:13:58 PM »
Very, very nice work! Nice all around! The only thing I'd question is the length of the rear barrel key which is sticking out fairly far from the stock. Probably should be flush with the inlay unless there's some reason it was left long. Nice job!

Gregg

Offline sz

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 04:42:28 PM »
Very nice.  Beautifully done.
My complements.
:)

Offline KC

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 10:11:55 PM »
Excellent job, that's a beautiful rifle.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 11:22:23 PM »
It is nice, does anybody know who this guy is? Never heard of him before.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 11:41:21 PM »
Mike
Do a search on him. Taylor Sapergia knows him and has posted pics for him. Taylor said Niall is from Northern Alberta. His other rifles are just as nice and that means super nice. Tim

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 03:05:43 PM »
Mike
Do a search on him. Taylor Sapergia knows him and has posted pics for him. Taylor said Niall is from Northern Alberta. His other rifles are just as nice and that means super nice. Tim
He was kind enough to send me a PM to introduce himself. I was wondering who he was as he does such good work. Not often someone with his skill goes unnoticed.....of course I don't get out much. ;)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 07:41:23 PM »
I have known Niall for around twenty years, and every time I run into him which is not often, he has another fine piece to show me.  We sit and pour over his rifles and discuss all of the aspects.  I think we inspire each other, perhaps in a similar way that 'you all' do from the States.  There are precious few builders in Canada and even fewer out here in the West.  So we are like tiny islands in the ocean and unless we leave those islands to explore the rest of the sea, it is difficult to get feedback.  This site goes a long way to rectify that discrepancy.
Niall, do yourself a favour and take a couple of your rifles to Dixon's Gunmaker's Fair.  You will get honest and humbling evaluation, and critique, and meet many others of a like mind.  I have only been twice, but immersing yourself in this stuff makes a huge difference in your end product, and in your satisfaction level too.
Another such builder out here is Cody Tetachuck.  He introduced me to this site, though he now doesn't contribute as much as I would like.  I think I can safely say the Cody, Niall and I are the only builders west of Ontario...probably in a population of 15 million.  If I am wrong, I'd like to hear otherwise.
...and great rifle Niall!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.