Author Topic: Pouring a nosecap  (Read 10851 times)

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Pouring a nosecap
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 02:27:51 AM »
Once you boil the pewter, the damage is done, and the pour will be full of holes, unless you let it solidify and remelt it without boiling it.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 05:07:37 AM »
That's where I messed up...i let it cool back down to suitable temps and then poured it....

I attempted to pour more into a new "mould" this evening...heated the barrel and poured it...one side actually worked really well....the other not at all...as you'd guess it had a nice line where it met the old pour and solidified....

But...it turned out awesome...nice and smooth and properly shaped like you guys have shown....

I removed it and will start over next time I have time to mess around... hopefully Wednesday after work..

Was touched to remove than I imagined...my drilled holes for locking lugs actually worked lol....after I figured out what needed worked on i popped it off in 2 pieces after cutting the top in half..

Hopefully get that done Wednesday and finish up the stock over the weekend and start finishing it so I an oil it through my work week next week...that's my plan...and once the nosecap is on it shouldn't take too much more I have the rest pretty well close...

Offline Mauser06

Re: Pouring a nosecap...new!!
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 07:22:39 AM »
So....after realizing how sorry my attempt looked opted to pull it off and re-pour it...getting my sorry attempt off wasn't super hard...took a little bit of thinking and I got it...

Tonight I re-poured it...

I have a few weird dips from the cardboard being bent and me not noticing...but I'm gunna go with it and shape it to kinda blend and match..

Obviously still have to file in my ramrod channel...i started but called it a night....

I think I'm going to round the top corners to kinda to match my bottom curve...the squared off look just looks "factory " to me...lol.

To entry pipe needs cleaned up a bit..the rest of my furniture is going to be blued... hopefully it looks alright with the silver forend going on....i think i will like it...if not I an get a steel entry pipe and cut it to fit my inlet maybe...

This rifle is far from any sort of school or replica of any sort...it is accidentally my first built...so I'm trying to make a nice shootable rifle to learn as much as I can on...I'm really enjoying building...

I bought the stock to quickly and easily put together an "upgraded" TC...L&R lock, Davis triggers, found a green mountain barrel pretty reasonable...bought steel furniture...

At the end of it the tang and wedge pin plates are TC products...other than that it's all aftermarket...

I think it'll turn out decent for my first build... hopefully I an get it finished this weekend so I can oil it through my next work week...i will finish up the nose piece tomorrow and get back to the stock...a little more shaping and it'll be ready to scrape!  I can't wait to see the wood!  Looks to have great figure and curl to it....

It's a fast twist 50cal barrel....I've always wanted a 58cal...i think it might get sent out to become a 58cal...it's 1" and able to be done...i think it'll feel better drilled out a bit...I'm used to a 15/16" 50cal...the 1" 50 feels significantly heavier...

thimble rig

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 03:38:58 PM »
That looks better.Good job.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 04:41:19 PM »
Thanx!!

Didn't realize the lighting/pics made it look worse than it is....

Definitely glad I re-poured it...i would have never had my first attempt lol nearly as good...

I am surprised at how easy it actually was...

I trimmed 1/4" or so off my under rib to make my nosepiece that much longer...i am glad I id...the size looks good to my eye anyways

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 12:24:50 AM »
  After the fact: I knew I had seen this before I just couldn't' remember where until this AM and even then I could not get into it. Gave them a call and the Lass said she would have someone get it back on line, anyway;

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/pdfs/pewter/pewter-muzzle-cap-instructions.pdf

Tim C.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 01:12:48 AM »
Those are pretty good institutions!!! 

I got it rough shaped...i have a little clean up to do but I think that's about the shape it'll stay....

If anyone else is doing this and need to cut the ramrod channel into it like I did....i tried a round rasp...it worked but slow going....

I wrapped 120 grit paper around a piece of ramrod and it did a great job... quicker than the rasp I think...

I'm on target to get her done this weekend even with going into work and fishing tomorrow.....i think lol. 

I have a little wood work to do tonight... nothing major....then I will be ready to scrape and finish...

I'm pretty excited...it looks and feels like a gun!! 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 02:54:59 AM »
Those are pretty good institutions!!! 

I got it rough shaped...i have a little clean up to do but I think that's about the shape it'll stay....

Go to a car parts business like NAPA and get a Vixen type of file for lead. I have
used them for forearm caps and wood in the same cut. They cut FAST so be careful.

Bob Roller

If anyone else is doing this and need to cut the ramrod channel into it like I did....i tried a round rasp...it worked but slow going....

I wrapped 120 grit paper around a piece of ramrod and it did a great job... quicker than the rasp I think...

I'm on target to get her done this weekend even with going into work and fishing tomorrow.....i think lol. 

I have a little wood work to do tonight... nothing major....then I will be ready to scrape and finish...

I'm pretty excited...it looks and feels like a gun!! 

Turtle

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 02:12:02 PM »
 Two things I learned doing this;

-preheat the barrel so the pewter flows

-old fashioned muffler cement works great to plug the cracks where the molton pewter leaks out
                           Turtle

Swab

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »
Out of curiosity does anyone know how far poured nose caps go back? 

Im not sure what these might be made of.