Author Topic: Frog's Current Project  (Read 3277 times)

Offline frogwalking

Frog's Current Project
« on: June 19, 2016, 08:51:25 PM »
I had posted this under the heading "Tennessee Sideplate" and only three folks read it as the subject had been already pretty much worn out.  I do realize that my work pales when compared to most that are shown on this site, however, perhaps some other amateurs will be heartened by what a person utterly without talent can do by sheer persistence.  (apologies to the three folks who read this under the previous post.)
This shape was arrived at by assuming that the old Tennessee mountain gunsmith, or his customer,  may have seen a Pennsylvania rifle and tried to copy the sideplate by memory.  I have done more beveling since I took the pictures and it looks better.  The sideplate is inletted 2/3 rds. of total plate thickness.

Both tang bolts are tapped through the trigger plate.  Two lock bolts go through the sideplate.  The Davis front trigger has been straightened; and a trigger mainspring stop bolt (4-40 from a Sharps rifle trigger adjusting screw) installed so the lock and trigger work properly together.  (The lock can be cocked with the trigger unset.)  Because of the way the lock panel had been shaped by the barrel inletter, the lock is canted slightly and this made the distance between the triggerplate and sear bar very tight.

Given the work already done, I do appreciate constructive comments.  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:53:06 PM by frogwalking »
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: Frog's Current Project
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 09:52:15 PM »
Coming along nicely,I'm afraid I have no knowledge of Tennessee style rifles but I'm sure somebody will chime in.

Offline davebozell

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 10:54:23 PM »
It's looking good!  I also recognize the Nicholson file roll that's hanging by your bench.  I have one just like that came with a mix of US and Mexico-made files in it.  Your side plate looks very believable.  Nice clean work so far!

thimble rig

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 12:09:12 AM »
Excellent work.Good job with the side plate its different.Nice job of inletting the tang,those can be a pain sometimes.Youre almost there keep up the good work and thanks for posting.

Offline KC

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 02:28:54 AM »
It looks good to me so far. I'd like to see more pictures as it progresses. That stock will look great when you get some finish on it. Nice work.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:30:16 PM »
Nice clean workmanship -- looks good so far. I'll have to give the side plate sometime to "grow" on me ;D. Do show us the final completed build.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 05:08:42 PM »
The sideplate is certainly unconventional.  The last one I made had a sideplate that was more like  what one would expect to see on this type of rifle.

Someone showed a crude sideplate (on the string where I requested ideas for a sideplate design) that clearly showed an attempt to replicate a Pennsylvania design.  The last Tennessee rifle I made has a flush sideplate that also reflects this style, although more in keeping with tradition.  I just received my copy of David Byrd's book "East Tennessee Hog Rifles".  In his book, he does not show any sideplates that look like mine, however he does show original rifles with many unusual features that would be considered incorrect if they were incorporated in a contemporary rifle.  photos or original East Tennessee rifles are present where the rifle has sideplates shaped to mirror the lockplate, and made of German silver, inlays of silver and mother of pearl, absurdly deep curved buttplates, and buttplates with very little curve.  Some of the rifles are very well made and finished, and others look more like a farm implement.  After having said all of this, I do think my choice will look a little less jarring once it is blued or browned.  If nothing else, it is a conversation starter.  I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 09:58:10 PM »
I ran across a mountain rifle with all hand forged  hardware and built by Hershel House.  I thought you might like to see his rendition of a sideplate.  If I had seen that before I made mine, I would have copied that one.  They both do sort of resemble a Pennsylvania plate, however.

It is not like mine, but also not like any originals I have seen either.  Of course, I have certainly not seen them all.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 10:29:24 PM »
I like it Frog.  Nice lines. The sideplate certainly does not appear out of the realm of possibility to me. 

I have wondered about rifles that are "in between".  In other words, not a plain barn gun or mountain gun, but not a Golden Age either.  What a fine maker would build for a poorer customer. 

I like the finish on the left side example photo you posted.  Nice color, and nice sheen. 

Best wishes,   Marc