Author Topic: Firelocks pistol kit  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Ezra

Firelocks pistol kit
« on: June 29, 2016, 04:24:35 PM »
Anyone ever built one of Chris Altlands flintlock pistol kits?  If so, your thoughts on the kit?  I would be particularly interested if you had built his Nazareth pistol. 

http://www.firelockpistols.com/nazareth.html

Thanks guys.  :)

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Firelocks pistol kit
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 05:11:59 PM »
I've done a couple of them and in addition I regularly use Chris' parts.They are cast from originals so there is some shrinkage and are a little thinner than some available parts so they take a little more care.They are historically correct and the only source for a lot of what he sells.I've been very pleased with the parts and Chris' service.Top notch!!

Mitch Yates

Offline Ezra

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 05:29:25 PM »
Thank you Mitch.  ;D

Ez

Offline blienemann

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:31:03 PM »
I worked with Bill K's kits years ago, which I think Chris has taken over and expanded.  Also bought silver mounts for custom pistol projects - their kits and mounts were always fine quality, and these great silver mounts hard to find.

I note on the flier that this is a "Nazareth pistol ca 1760-70".  I want to add a little history, but this does not take away from the value of the pistol kit in any way.  And Mark's example is beautiful - great parts and great stocking.

Wm Henry, Jr managed the Christian's Spring gunshop through mid 1780, and moved to Nazareth in August 1780 - first to the Single Brethren's house - which might have had a shop - or he could have walked the 2 miles back to C's Spring shop to work there.  He quickly received permission to build a new home with shop in Nazareth, brought little brother Abraham over from Lancaster and became engaged in late 1781.  Was soon married and in his new home and shop.  His father set him up in the trade with considerable material and cash, and it is noted that the son made his father a pair of silver mounted pistols at some point.  So the Wm Henry, Jr pistols this kit is based upon were probably made ca 1781 or soon after, and there was no other gunshop in Nazareth that I know of before that time.  WH Jr was the one and only gunsmith (and carpenter / joiner) there for many years.

These pistols do copy the English style from a decade or two earlier, and they would be fine 1760 pistols, as long as they don't have W Henry or Nazareth engraved on the barrel.  Again, just a bit of history, and not intended to hijack the thread or criticize a very fine kit and pistol.  Mark's example makes we want to try another one.  Bob 

Offline Ezra

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 02:47:47 AM »
Thank you Bob, I love the historical aspect very much!

Ez
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:48:23 AM by Ezra »