Author Topic: Swap meet /class pictures  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

Swap meet /class pictures
« on: March 29, 2009, 04:53:07 AM »
 Here are some pictures from the muzzleloading swap meet and also the gun building class at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio...

A couple from the swap meet, some good stuff and everybody had a great time

Some from the class, that's Jim Kibler in the OSU shirt talking to ALR's own JKL in the red shirt. ALR's own BillP in the foreground with his back to us - note his beverage of choice on the work bench - and ALR's own Walt S to the right. A virtual ALR reunion captured in a single photograph.

Walt inletting his buttplate. The class is working on a mid period Jacob Dickert rifle built from a blank and learning to modify or make some of their own parts

That's me on the right, Think I was showing Brian where I think he ought to drill a big tallow hole

Gary doing a little clean up, preparing to make and fit up a single trigger and plate - the can is just a decoy, he also prefers Bill P's beverage of choice

Kevin doing a little fine tuning, getting his lock inlet

Jeff Shingler and his friend made the trip up and brought the mighty wall gun along, I didn't get a picture of it, he had posted a link here with a video of the test firing. Sadly he did not bring along the necessary 55 gallon drum of powder and lead basketballs or we'd have shot the thing. One guy suggested it was a squirrel gun - you pretty much shoot the tree down and scoop the stunned squirrels up in a net.
  Another good time had by all and somehow we manage to learn something in the process!

J Shingler

Re: Swap meet /class pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 06:01:04 AM »
And a great time had by all! Thank much to Ian to allow us in to interrupt his gun class. Was good to see all the guys making some fine looking rifles. It has been years since I had made the trip up to Lodi Log Cabin. Very nice shop. Made it up in nice time too. was only 190 miles so was closer than I thought. Got in about 8:45 or so. Found everyone already pretty much unloaded and setting up. Got to check out the goodies of the swap meet as everyone fild in setting up tables. Even got a nice get me out of the doghouse salt and pepper horn for the wife. Spent too much on books yet again and headed home a little before 5:00. Very nice day and a big thank you to Ian for the invite!
Seemed that the wall gun was a big hit too! Never thought about Log Cabin having a range. We could have went out back and perforated the backstop!
Jeff

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 04:07:38 PM »
Ian:
You don't drink that stuff, you just keep a pinch (or gulp) between your cheek and gum, besides Walt brought it; really.
BillP

lew wetzel

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 04:12:12 PM »
jeff,that wall gun was awesome......ian,good to see yuo and thanks for the lock...i had a good time and was able to sell a few things...i see my son got in on some of the photos..his name is ian ........i picked up a little russ hamm lock and a mule ear lock kit from ian...i watched jim kibler perform his magic on walts gun in helping him get the shaping and profile started....jim,you aleays stick your tongue out when filing and rasping...i have pics of you from last year that have you with your tongue out....lol..... :P

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 08:54:55 PM »
Yep well worth the trip.  Ian thanks for your time yesterday,  I hope things work out so I can do a class in the future.  Hey Chris did your son Ian have a good time yesterday.  Logan really enjoyed it. 
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:33:04 PM »
For those of you who have access to this sort of activity, you don't know how fortunate you are.  this sort of thing does not exist in my world.  I live in a gunbuilder's desert.  Antartica.  Except for my brother here, Brian 4 hours to the west, and Cody up north in Alberta, there's no one.  Do you remember what it was like, Hugh?  I am just so grateful for this web site and all who share here.
Congrats on the show and build.  Thanks, Ian, for keeping guys like me in the loop.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 10:23:38 PM »
Taylor,  You are so right.  It is really hard, even here in the Pacific north west to  many builders with the same passion for historical correctness and attention to detail that the boys back east have.  This sight is a blessing for me to stay connected with the whos who of muzzle loading rifle building.  Of the few guys in my immediate area who build, not many of them share the same passion for this great past time as we do.  We have a lot of one gun wonder builders who are really only interested in studying long enough to build themselves one gun and then its back to rendezvous.  This sight is my connection to sanity.   
DMR
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:24:41 PM by David Rase »

lew wetzel

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 02:30:37 AM »
tommy,yes,ian had a great time hanging with logan....glad the boys hit it off...and will look forward to getting them out in the woods as soon as weather permits....ian already looking forward to the trade fair!!!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 03:52:29 AM »
For those of you who have access to this sort of activity, you don't know how fortunate you are.  this sort of thing does not exist in my world.  I live in a gunbuilder's desert.  Antartica.  Except for my brother here, Brian 4 hours to the west, and Cody up north in Alberta, there's no one.  Do you remember what it was like, Hugh?  I am just so grateful for this web site and all who share here.
Congrats on the show and build.  Thanks, Ian, for keeping guys like me in the loop.

I have some pretty good gunmakers in the area though one is retired.
He did pretty good work.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(viwypl22bvpgcvfqesonfiut))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=12&subId=78&styleId=266&partNum=AAG-749
Don's stuff will make almost anyone question their competency.

The other guy can make English 1st quality stuff from scratch.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

J Shingler

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 05:47:08 AM »
"jeff,that wall gun was awesome...."
Hey thank for the complament. Not to just get it finished!

Now I know I am not good with names but dag gone it Lew I did not even know you were there. Which one were you! LOL
Would have liked to put some faces with these here forum names!

lew wetzel

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 08:08:34 AM »
jeff,i had a table set up with a couple hawks and knives,a rifle,and some trekking clothes and pouchs.way over in the corner..and i was the only guy there wearing a NRA hat..i really wish i had got to meet you.hopefully you can make it back up for the trade fair!!!!

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 04:07:32 PM »
I sure hope all of you guys out in Ohio take advantage of this get together.   When two, what I consider to be great gun
builders, get together and are willing to share their knowledge, it's a fantastic thing.  With guys like Jim Kibler, who I call
the second coming of John Bivns, and Ian Pratt, who is cruising along in the footsteps of Herschel, you get so much good
knowledge.   I really like the carvings of Jim, and sure wish I could do some the blacksmithing that Ian does......two somewhat different aspects of gunbuilding......I might have to make a trip out that way and show you guys all the great
things about "barn guns".....heck, you don't need Jim or Ian to do those...............Don