Author Topic: Removing breech plug  (Read 10595 times)

mustanggt

Re: Removing breech plug
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 12:15:25 AM »
Thanks Dennis. I was really sweating that. Of course this is my first one so I'm sweating everything. It's tough being a virgin.  ;D

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 05:13:28 PM »
You'll get over it. The dangerous phase comes next. That's the one where you THINK you know what to do because you've done it before.

mustanggt

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 06:11:17 PM »
Probably when I make my next rifle. That should be fun. Everytime I think I knowbwhat the $#*! I'm doing Murphy comes a knockin.  ;D

rfd

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 02:19:18 AM »
i use an 18" flat jawed reed corp wrench on the the plug, while the barrel is held in a large bench vise 'tween extruded aluminum jaw padding.  i also use the rice wrench and vise octo pads, very good stuff.  i'll always want to pull a plug (and liner) that i don't know has been anti-seize lubed - that's mandatory for me.  some, if not most, of the commercial trad ml's will not allow their plugs to be pulled - ever, so beware of that krap.

oooo, look what i found in the patent breech and chamber of a brand new, unused investarms flinter ml barrel ....

18" reed corp wrench ...

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 04:37:43 AM »
i use an 18" flat jawed reed corp wrench on the the plug, while the barrel is held in a large bench vise 'tween extruded aluminum jaw padding.  i also use the rice wrench and vise octo pads, very good stuff.  i'll always want to pull a plug (and liner) that i don't know has been anti-seize lubed - that's mandatory for me.  some, if not most, of the commercial trad ml's will not allow their plugs to be pulled - ever, so beware of that krap.

oooo, look what i found in the patent breech and chamber of a brand new, unused investarms flinter ml barrel ....

Nasty looking bore and breech - is that dried pudding or a severe case of crotch-rot cancer?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V