Author Topic: nmlra shot gun shoot  (Read 3894 times)

jim m

nmlra shot gun shoot
« on: March 29, 2009, 06:34:20 PM »
participated in the regional shoot in Missouri Friday. shot trap with my 20ga English fusil. had a great time and learned one thing for sure. I SUCK!!! I think the only way I could hit one of those birds is if were lying on the ground in front of me.  ::) :'(  but still had a great time  ;D

Candle Snuffer

Re: nmlra shot gun shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »
Having a good time is what it's all about. :)

I've only shot a muzzle loading shotgun twice and found out in a hurry that it's a different game then my Winchester 12 ga pump.  Still, I enjoyed the experience and I think it's one of those things that a person just has to get their timing down with.

Offline markwi

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 03:40:16 AM »
I was shooting at clays with my bess, most lived, but lots of fun. Mark

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:49:32 AM »
missing some is o/k  gotta leave some for seed.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 04:34:49 PM »
For clay shooting I prefere a sxs flinter in 12 gauge ,for this you need a sporting gun with 30 inch barrels and a well tuned lock that is just as quick as a  percussion lock.To shoot clays whether it be sporting or trap it is in the swing you will find that most shoot behind because they flinch with the ignition of the pan this is where a quick ignition comes in.Last you need plenty of practice to overcome this when you will be able to shoot 25 straight something I have seen done many times.
Feltwad

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »
Flinters, for me, require a constant swing and follow through. Cap-guns seem to shoot about the same as most modern shotguns for me, swing past, slapping the trigger as the front of the barrel catches and passes the bird, depending on the range.  i rarely use the bead- only for constant swing techniques.

jim m

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 08:40:59 PM »
it's definately a different game. I was the only one shooting flint and a 20ga.  seems like 10ga was the norm with a couple of 8 bore thrown in for good measure. my little 20ga was quite intimidated and when I got home it hid in the closet for two days before it would come out  ;D ;D ;D

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 04:49:09 PM »
I'll bet it was fun, though, Jim.
 Our own Hatchet Jack entered the shotgun event at Ft. McMurray Rendezvous last year.  Everyone there was using double 12's or 10's as well as some 12 bore ctg. guns with prepared 'shells'.  Hatchet Jack missed 1 bird out of 15 and won the event - he was still dancin' and prancin' after the 10 hour drive home. He was using the same 20 bore fusil he shoots the trail with every Sunday with round ball. His barrel feels like it has a weak improved cylinder choke and he certainly shoots it well. Hatchet Jack is the bloke in the Red Capote in most of our pictures.

swordmanjohn

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 08:19:21 AM »
Is the speed of the shot in a ml any slower than a modern shotgun? Maybe a longer lead of the clay target is needed? Ive never shot flint smoothbore with shot before but that will soon change when i get supplies needed , like shot cards and wads as well as shot.... cabelas sells 25 pound bags for 32$ and im thinking of getting #6 shot?