Author Topic: Single set trigger recomendation  (Read 7193 times)

Offline tiswell

Single set trigger recomendation
« on: October 18, 2016, 04:10:26 PM »
       I am looking a single set trigger that can be fired set or unset, either a design that I can make or a model that is made for sale. It will go on an early Schreyer rifle if that matters.

Thanks, Bill

Offline alyce-james

Re: Single set trigger recomendation
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 05:48:27 PM »
tiswell; Sir, Good morning. Hear is a place to start, very high quality craftsmanship items. Stan Hollenbaugh - srhakh@comcast.net - 414 W. King st. - East Berlin, PA. 17316 - 717-259-9271. Have a great day, AJ.

"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 05:56:39 PM »
       I am looking a single set trigger that can be fired set or unset, either a design that I can make or a model that is made for sale. It will go on an early Schreyer rifle if that matters.

Thanks, Bill

Tim Tressel (R.E.Davis) showed me a nice one they were making but I don't know the current status of it.
I haven't made one for about 35 years and no plans to make any now.

Bob Roller

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 06:02:33 PM »
 I've never heard of such a trigger. Every single set trigger I've seen requires you to push it forward to set it, wich allows you to cock the lock. Single set triggers force the sear bar upward, and remain in that position under spring pressure until the trigger is manually pushed forward to release the sear, and reset the trigger. This is why guns with a lock that has no fly can only use a single set, or single phase double trigger. I just don't see an room in that equation for shooting unset.

Hungry Horse

Offline tiswell

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:05:28 PM »
Hungry Horse,
     I just found out about one from L+R. The t-1675 sounds like the ticket, I would like to hear from anyone that has tried one.

Blessings, Bill

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 07:08:15 PM »

This is the trigger I installed in my Chambers' Virginia rifle.  I got it from MBS and took it all apart and polished everything.  It does not interfere with firing set or unset, but it is a voluptuous rifle and there is depth in the lock area.  Works superlatively.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:11:54 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 08:43:01 PM »
I used the same MBS trigger that Taylor S. used on an early "transitional" rifle. As mentioned, you need a robust rifle because it does require a fair amount of wood removal.  It works well with a 3# pull unset and less than 1# set.

Offline tiswell

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 09:47:31 PM »
alyce-james,
         Thanks, I have an email out to Stan to check for availability.
                                                                                                                                    Thanks, Bill

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 07:25:32 PM »

This is the trigger I installed in my Chambers' Virginia rifle.  I got it from MBS and took it all apart and polished everything.  It does not interfere with firing set or unset, but it is a voluptuous rifle and there is depth in the lock area.  Works superlatively.

+1 Taylor.
This trigger design is a great choice. Breaks clean etc etc.

Below is the same design that was shop made for a Hawken pistol I did a few years back. There is drawing if this trigger in George's "English Guns and Rifles". I have a "high reach" version in my swivel breech, and two in a pair of Don King FL pistols. It can be made low of high profile if shop made. BUT its work intensive and TODAY I would buy as Taylor did.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline tiswell

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 08:03:59 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your input! I have a trigger ordered from Mr. Hollenbaugh, and I will look for a copy of George's "English Guns and Rifles", for future builds.

Thanks, Bill

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 02:59:05 AM »
BTW Taylor, the VA rifle is a knockout.....

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 03:32:53 AM »

+1 Taylor.

Below is the same design that was shop made for a Hawken pistol I did a few years back. There is drawing if this trigger in George's "English Guns and Rifles". I have a "high reach" version in my swivel breech, and two in a pair of Don King FL pistols. It can be made low of high profile if shop made. BUT its work intensive and TODAY I would buy as Taylor did.
Dan

The labor intensive part of the single set trigger is why I quit them in 1980.
I was getting $100 a set but these are tedious. If I ever need one I will buy it as well.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 02:46:05 PM »

+1 Taylor.

Dan

The labor intensive part of the single set trigger is why I quit them in 1980.
I was getting $100 a set but these are tedious. If I ever need one I will buy it as well.

Bob Roller

The trigger shown with the adjustment screw is French improvement. The other without the screw is an English type
that has to be removed from the gun and the sear spring tension reduced. I have an original single set trigger with the guard
and it has no adjustment screw. It came from an English Fenton target pistol that Lynton McKenzie said was destroyed in the Nazi bombing raids of 1940. I will try get a picture posted of it.
I have made the French design and another German style called "Zuhlerstecher"with a mechanism that sets by the trigger sliding under the release bar to engage the sear.I think I might still have a mainspring for one of these in the shop.
This design allows the release bar to hit the sear of the lock with little or no perceptible movement of the trigger itself.

Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 02:07:55 AM »
That's an OLD picture, Taylor - how about an updated picture of that rifle? Might show the lads how patina accumulates. ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:08:16 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline DuncanvonYeast

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 01:54:33 AM »
I have an RE Davis single set trigger with a set screw, I like the trigger it's great but I had to make 1 improvement/change. I had to flatten out the trigger because it was made with a Jurassic curve and it didn't fit my finger. So I took it and flattened it with my vice.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 02:00:03 AM »
I have an RE Davis single set trigger with a set screw, I like the trigger it's great but I had to make 1 improvement/change. I had to flatten out the trigger because it was made with a Jurassic curve and it didn't fit my finger. So I took it and flattened it with my vice.

That would work - I usually use a hammer, or some sort other kind of destructive device, then I need to buy new stuff.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline tiswell

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 03:36:58 PM »
As a follow up, I took ownership of a Stan Hollenbaugh double action, single set trigger last evening. The trigger exudes craftsmanship, with zero creep and I believe it can be set to a pull weight of less than a pound. I picked it up at Stan's place, he is a great guy, quite helpful and informative. The trigger was $65. Thanks to alyce-james for the recommendation!

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 03:51:38 PM »
Can you post a picture of the Hollenbaugh trigger?

Offline EC121

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 07:02:32 PM »
Brice Stultz