Author Topic: Green River Hawken Lock  (Read 4881 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Green River Hawken Lock
« on: November 15, 2016, 02:20:58 AM »
Who made the Green River Hawken Locks? Are they still available? Does anybody today make a Hawken lock to where the half cock notch allows the cup of the hammer to cover the cap? Can a Davis lock be modified to make the hammer cover the cap without touching the cap?  ???
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:21:51 AM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
Re: Green River Hawken Lock
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 05:50:10 AM »
Who made the Green River Hawken Locks? Are they still available? Does anybody today make a Hawken lock to where the half cock notch allows the cup of the hammer to cover the cap? Can a Davis lock be modified to make the hammer cover the cap without touching the cap? 

Jim,

With a couple exceptions, Green River Rifle Works assembled their own locks in house.  They bought castings from Bud Siler, Ron Long, and either William Morgan or THE FRONTIERSMAN for most of their locks.

For example, this photo from GRRW's 1976 catalog/brochure lists Jim Summarell and Dave Holmes as locksmiths.

Some of the GRRW Hawken rifles in my collection have the half-cock notch cut as you describe where the cup of the hammer partially covers the cap.  I thought this was a minor manufacturing flaw until my friend Bob Lienemann pointed out that some hunters preferred it this way so they didn't have to worry about the cap falling off while carrying the rifle at half-cock during a hunt.

I know of no one that sells a Hawken lock like this.

You would probably have to modify the tumbler yourself to move the half-cock notch to lower the hammer closer to the cap and nipple.  Not a trivial task because you may need to anneal the tumbler to re-cut the notch then harden and temper again.

Thinking about it a little more, you might find it easier to modify a hammer, either by heating and bending the nose, or welding up and re-cutting the square hole for the tumbler shaft so the nose is closer to the cap and nipple.
Phil Meek

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 05:29:05 PM »
The CAP falls off the nipple at half cock.Now I've heard it ALL. Buy caps  that fit snugly or nipples that will make the fit snugly.
Modifying a tumbler and/or doctoring the hammer are solutions to problems that don't exist. This whole thread sounds like a hoax to me
and in 65 years of black powder  never have I heard of this "problem".

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:24:24 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 07:51:18 PM »
Thanks Bob and Mtn Meek for your comments.

I have never had this problem with a cap but evidently my customer has. I will modify the hammer as this sound like the simplest solution to the problem I will post my results here to let everyone know if it worked or not.

This is not a hoax but it could be an unreal problem from the depths of a deranged mind from some ficticious person that is not real.  ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 08:06:20 PM »
This is not a hoax
It's a story that someone manufactured to cover up a design flaw.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 09:08:03 PM »
Wow.  With all of those people working, I'd hate to think about payroll alone.  They would have had to produce a LOT of product.  Maybe this is why things didn't work out?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 09:12:37 PM »
I have to use a Leatherman pliers to remove an unfired cap from the nipple of my Hawken...and carefully!  I would not want a lock that required full cock to cap a nipple, then lower the hammer to the half bent position.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 09:15:07 PM »
Jim:  you would know more than any of us about that.  It looks like a great group of friends probably taking minimally from a small company trying to make it work.  Not very realistic it would appear.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 10:14:08 PM »
The CAP falls off the nipple at half cock.Now I've heard it ALL. Buy caps  that fit snugly or nipples that will make the fit snugly.

After cussing and carrying on a hunting friend of mine asked me to fix his high dollar percussion hunting rifle. He had it miss-fire twice when firing at deer. He told me I just don't understand it will miss-fire then when I re-cock it and pull the trigger the second time it goes off, every time! Caps were too tight on nipple and the first snap just seated the cap down enough for the second snap to fire the cap. I told him those per-cussed things would never catch on ;D
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 10:49:59 PM »
I had nothing constructive to say about people not knowing how to fix a situation where caps too tight or too loose, so I will not.  However, I can still be surprised at this phenomenon.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Finest Сasual Dating - Verified Women
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 10:56:42 PM »
It's just common sense.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 11:37:03 PM »
Very early on they also used Kurn locks. 
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Turtle

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 04:23:13 PM »
 Are these the same guys that made those great green Mountain barrels? I have one and love it!
                                Turtle