Author Topic: Thread size for forge blower oil fitting  (Read 2883 times)

Offline RAT

Thread size for forge blower oil fitting
« on: November 14, 2016, 07:19:03 AM »
I'm just now getting around to cleaning up a Royal Western Chief forge blower and need to make a plug for the oil fill hole. I poured a lead slug and turned it into the hole to get an impression of the threads. The best I could figure out is that they are 7/16-28. I wanted to check with some more experienced members to verify this before I order a special size tap for the extra fine thread.
Bob

Smoketown

Re: Thread size for forge blower oil fitting
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 01:25:55 PM »
Check with a Harley Davidson Motorcycle shop.

The old pans and knuckleheads used a lot of 7/16 fine thread hardware.

Wheel hub to drum brake bolts comes to mind. Head bolts too.

Most old bike mechanics are intrigued with 'old iron' of all kinds and would probably chase the threads for free.
(Although 6 packs were ALWAYS welcome.)   ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline tiswell

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »
RAT,
    Check the lead slug for taper. If the thread is tapered it could be a pipe thread.  An 1/8-27 tap measures 7/16 at the shank.

Blessings, Bill

Offline Ben Quearry

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 06:15:49 PM »
My old Western Chief has the original brass stop cock, instead of a plug, that you open to verify that it has oil in it. I think it's a pipe thread, looks like a tiny steam fitting.

Ben

Offline RAT

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 06:38:12 PM »
Thanks... by the way I meant die... not tap. Slip of the keyboard. That's what I get for posting after my bedtime.

I was wondering if it was a tapered 1/8-27. I have a die for that. I bought a grease fitting with that thread to try it, but it was too small.

By the way... the petcock is there... it's the bolt-like plug where you fill the oil that's missing.
Bob

Offline RAT

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 06:42:17 AM »
Just to end this topic... and for future reference if anyone in similar need searches in the future... I found a brass plug in the plumbing section at ACE hardware. It's a 1/8-27 pipe thread. It fit perfectly.
Bob