Author Topic: Hammer forging/making w/ Pics  (Read 9706 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Hammer forging/making w/ Pics
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 07:15:04 PM »
Several HOURS filing a square hole!?
Bob Roller

Yes, Bob, I'm slow. And my files are dull.

I use magic marker on the tumbler square and fit and file the hole until I get good contact all over. I fit until the hammer is close to shouldering up, saving the last little bit for pressing on.

Never had a hammer go wobbly on me, even after thousands of shots.

If there is a faster way, and if it's better, I'll adopt it.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Nick Bachtel

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 07:56:26 PM »
Thank you everyone for the encouragement. I will start a new build thread and post the rest there.

Usually when I visit my local shop and talk to some of the old timers I catch the feeling that they do not take me seriously. So I very sincerely tip my hat to those who encourage me with the same sincerity. Its very refreshing.

Nick

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 01:25:45 AM »
Thank you everyone for the encouragement. I will start a new build thread and post the rest there.

Usually when I visit my local shop and talk to some of the old timers I catch the feeling that they do not take me seriously. So I very sincerely tip my hat to those who encourage me with the same sincerity. Its very refreshing.

Nick
I am a relic 80 years old and started in muzzle loaders in 1951 and later single shot black powder breech loaders.
I cobbled together a useful lock when I was 17 with the help of Bill Large.Keep it up,Nick and pay no attention to
the naysayers.

Bob Roller

JB2

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 07:58:08 AM »
Nick, Good on ya for starting this.  I know it must be hard for most folks your age to stay focused on anything anymore, with all the other distractions out there.  Hoping that you're able to keep at it.

BTW, from your tool list and your attitude, if you had a forge you would be dangerous.  In a good way ;D  Maybe you can find someone willing to trade some forge parts for a couple cords of firewood?

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 04:48:55 PM »
Welcome Nick. This 71 year old is impressed!! I appreciate your courage and determination. Keep after it. Just be aware that is addictive.... there is no such thing as building one!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

BartSr

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2016, 06:12:58 AM »
Nick,
I started making flintlock locks this year at 71 years old.

Keep up the work that you are doing, you'll always get experience and insight in so doing.

BartSr