Author Topic: Newest Flintlock Build  (Read 4779 times)

Offline QuanLoi

Newest Flintlock Build
« on: December 05, 2016, 10:41:54 PM »
This rifle was a winter project that I stretched out a bit since I just finished it.  It's pretty generic... I used parts I had laying around the shop (pipes, nosecap, guard and buttplate).  It has a Colerain 42" .45 caliber barrel, Chambers lock and Davis triggers.  I made the sideplate, toeplate and patchbox.

About the sideplate and patchbox:  I copied the design of others I found on this site and they're yet to be engraved.  To the original builders... they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  So thanks for your inspiration.   This is my fifth flintlock.  I think I have one more under my belt and then I'm going to find a new hobby.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Newest Flintlock Build
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 01:48:03 AM »
Pretty cool rifle!  You are well along your way for this being your 5th rifle.
Andover, Vermont

pushboater

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 06:03:54 AM »
Looks like you're doing outstanding work for this to only be your 5th build. Just curious as to why you're giving up the obsession......I mean hobby!

David

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 03:32:20 PM »
Quitting after five guns? :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 05:03:17 PM »
   QuanLoi really like your rifle. Especially the finish an carving. Very nice! 

Offline QuanLoi

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:25:22 PM »
Looks like you're doing outstanding work for this to only be your 5th build. Just curious as to why you're giving up the obsession......I mean hobby!

David
Well, I don't sell guns and I originally started building just to see if I could do it.  Between my second and third flintlock was a fourteen year gap of non building.  When I started again, I found I had to learn all over again.  And now, I have one more build, and then I'll need to learn how to engrave.  And after that, who knows...

I can't express how much this website has aided me in my knowledge and taught me what I know.  When the books weren't clear, when I needed to know something specific, this is where I came.  Whoever set up this website... Thanks

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 11:58:26 PM »
QuanLoi, your skills are already amazing and this rifle is a beaut.  You need to keep sharing your skills even if you have to start selling.   :'( This rifle would make a nice Christmas present for, uh, well, ahem, me.  :D
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 03:03:07 AM »
As Rich said, cool rifle!  Don't stop now...

Ed
Ed Wenger

JB

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 05:09:41 AM »
looks great.. I'd be proud to have a rifle like that.

Offline Molly

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 12:59:01 AM »
Can I buy your skills!

It never ceases to amaze me that people just pick up on the interest one day and can turn out something like this!  One lucky dude IMO.  Hate to see you going into model airplanes!!

Offline QuanLoi

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 04:54:54 AM »
Can I buy your skills!

It never ceases to amaze me that people just pick up on the interest one day and can turn out something like this!  One lucky dude IMO.  Hate to see you going into model airplanes!!

It's a great feeling building an object, in this instance a gun, that will outlast you.  The guns I've built are only temporarily mine... I'm just their caretaker.  Sometime in the future, long after I'm gone, someone will look at one of my flintlocks and wonder about the builder.  Isn't that what we all do? 
Meanwhile, I'll just have fun shooting them!

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 09:45:53 PM »
Well said! Exactly how I feel. You have succeeded if this is your goal.
Greg