Author Topic: Torsten Lenk's Book on the Flintlock  (Read 4492 times)

John A. Stein

Torsten Lenk's Book on the Flintlock
« on: March 15, 2009, 05:00:28 AM »
Edward R Hamilton Bookseller Company has Torsten Lenk's  book  '"The Flinklock, Its Origin, Development, and Use" for sale at 4.95, plus 3.50 shipping.  The book focusses mainly on 17th century arms,so don't look for later info, but it is a bargain if you want to know something about the earliest flintlocks.  Hamilton deals in overstocks, remainders, etc. so supplies are limited. For more information check their website www.EdwardRHamilton.com    (disclaimer: I have no connection to the business, I just get their catalog in the mail and occasionally find something interesting to buy.)    John Stein

Mike R

Re: Torsten Lenk's Book on the Flintlock
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 04:17:26 PM »
Is this the paperback late edition?  Just for those that are not familiar with this book, it is largely the history of the development of early French arms in europe.  It was a thesis topic I think of Lenk and was originally written in his native tongue--the translation [and his writing style] do not make for great reading--however the material is good and there are alot of photos--unfortunately the photos and text are not well linked.  I found the book of interest, but rather hard to "get into" beacuse of the photo linkage probelm and textural difficulties.  But for the serious researcher it is a good source of info.

Robin Hewitt

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:15:48 AM »
the translation [and his writing style] do not make for great reading-

I had the misfortune to read this book, it's disjointed and dry as dust. You keep thinking there has to be quality information in there if only you could find it  ::)

Bill Baldock

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 05:20:36 AM »
Mike, and anyone else interested, a while back I went through Lenk's book and wrote up a cross reference for all the photos to where they are mentioned in the text (some never are).  It's free, a Word file, to anyone who wants a copy.

- Bill B.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 07:46:27 AM »
Mike, and anyone else interested, a while back I went through Lenk's book and wrote up a cross reference for all the photos to where they are mentioned in the text (some never are).  It's free, a Word file, to anyone who wants a copy.

- Bill B.

I would like to have a copy of your photo cross reference.  Sure do appreciate the offer.

Thanks,
Jim

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 03:12:25 PM »

- Bill B.

thanks, I believe it was you who supplied me with that list a year or two ago.

Offline Tom Moore

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
I, too, would like a copy of your cross reference list. Many thanks, -Tom

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 07:02:42 PM »
The book covers 17th (primarily) and 18th century French guns, and virtually nothing else (I think there's one german pistol and maybe two Dutch pistols shown...).  If this isn't what you're interested in, it won't be much help.  Though for a cheap price, it's worth having.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Bill Baldock

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 12:54:21 AM »
Tom and Jim, you have email.

Mike, I sent you a copy in 2005! My how time flies.

- Bill B