Author Topic: Pics of "plain" maple stocks  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Mauser06

Pics of "plain" maple stocks
« on: January 16, 2017, 01:25:19 AM »
Let's see your "plain maple" stocks....If you don't mind I'd be interested in how it was finished and what was used....

I've been looking at long rifles online a bunch...I thought a curly maple tiger stripped stock was awesome...And they are...The holographic effect and the color contrast etc makes a very cool piece of wood...

But I stumbled on a few "plain" maple stocks that have really caught my attention...One of Kiblers kit guns  finished by  him..

I'm really interested in seeing more....

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Pics of "plain" maple stocks
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:52:36 AM »
This Don Bruton gun was made with a slab sawn piece of plain maple from Dunlap. If I remember correctly Don used aqua fortis as the stain an then there has been many coats of boiled linseed oil as the finish an then I topped all that off with about 4 coats of Chambers oil finish to help guard against momma nature as best as I can

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:06:05 AM »
Fine looking rifle WB. Tim

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 03:22:19 AM »
Plain maple fowler finished with Fiebings medium brown die and covered with Minwax antique oil finish.

I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 03:51:09 AM »
Just beautiful...Both of them...... Something about the simplicity and "warmth" of the look. Don't know if that's what I want to say or makes sense...Just has a "warm glow" to it..