Author Topic: Heat Treatment of Steel  (Read 2444 times)

Offline JCKelly

Heat Treatment of Steel
« on: January 11, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »
I, being a metallurgist, am absolutely in awe of this new heat treat book, put out by a furnace company, Seco Warwick. 
Now, before you all throw up your hands in HORROR at the detailed stuff only a metallurgist could love -

Take a look at pages 56, 83, 84 and 98. Just these pages.
page 56 - gives times & temperatures for different depths of carburization (case hardening, the depth of case one gets)
page 83 - heating, and tempering colors, described.
page 84 - melting points of lotsa metals
page 98 - quenching matters. Tells just exactly why a brine quench is superior to plain water. I sorta knew this, but not so exactly.

Grit your teeth and download this book.

https://www.secowarwick.com/assets/Documents/Books/HeatTreatingDataEBook.2011.pdf

(dunno how to make it a link here, ya gotta cut 'n paste)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Heat Treatment of Steel
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 07:57:57 PM »
Thanks.  I dig that stuff.

and the price is right.

It made itself a link.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 08:23:34 PM »
Thank you JC.  I know just enough metallurgy to get myself into trouble, but my Dad was Chief Metallurgist at USS's Ensley Works, and this in addition to being practical information is a reminder of him and the old days.

Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »
very good stuff, thanks for posting.  Already learned things I didn't know for sure, specifically about case depths.  I was surprised to see how deep a case depth you can get even at the lowest time and temp ranges.  I always thought it would be in the .002-.003 range, but it is 3x-4x times that.    Re-enforces the idea not to heat and quench parts at too high of a temp, so as not to risk excessive warping and cracking, if it's not specifically needed.

Thanks again.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »
Great resource JC, thanks for sharing. Lots of useful stuff there. Saved that to my favorites.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 08:29:39 AM »
Great stuff!