Author Topic: the "brass barrel rifle"  (Read 3776 times)

Offline bob in the woods

the "brass barrel rifle"
« on: January 11, 2017, 06:45:36 AM »
I meant to bring my R.C.A. books in from the shop to have in front of me when writing this, but forgot, and we have a snow storm here so ...will have to wait until tomorrow to get the listing # , but I think most will know the rifle I'm speaking about.
The design is so much different than any of the other rifles I've seen in books or in person. It intrigues me. There are only 2 rifles like this listed, one being the brass barrel , and the other a very similar iron barrel gun. Does anyone know more about this stock design/school ??  I believe that Peter Alexander built a copy or recreation of the B.B.rifle some years ago. [ Ed Rayle brass barrel ? ]

Offline Richard Snyder

• Starting Member
Re: the "brass barrel rifle"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
I think the consensus is that this rifle was built either in Pennsylvania or North Carolina by a Moravian gun maker.  If Wallace ever finishes his book......

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 04:39:44 PM »
If I recall correctly, the brass barreled rifle has an early 1770s date.   Wallace told me that it represents a form at least 10 years earlier before there were really any schools known. Maybe I misunderstood, but I understood him to tell me that he thought the rifle was made in the Valley of VA by a gunsmith traveling from PA to NC. 

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 06:08:55 PM »
It is a fascinating piece and even more impressive in person. I got to see it at a show once. I was amazed how thick it was in the butt and how high the cheek piece stood proud of the stock. I have a real nice Bill Large tapered and flared .50 that I want to build a rifle around, this might be a good one to get inspiration from for that build. Ed Rayl offerred to make me a brass barrel to match the original dimensions.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline bgf

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 11:17:05 PM »
If I recall correctly, the brass barreled rifle has an early 1770s date.   Wallace told me that it represents a form at least 10 years earlier before there were really any schools known. Maybe I misunderstood, but I understood him to tell me that he thought the rifle was made in the Valley of VA by a gunsmith traveling from PA to NC.

Also, at one point, it was tentatively assigned to Wythe Co, Va, if I remember correctly.  The other one is even more remarkable, in my opinion, as the carving is unlike anything else.  I call it the "alien flowerpot" gun :).  That and some (other?) southern rifles seem to be influenced by a a tradition completely different from the carving on most longrifles.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 11:56:07 PM »
How about Honaker Fredrick County VA, I am almost positive that is what Wallace told me about who he believed the maker was. He showed me the 1771 engraved on the underside (I think that was where it was) of the box lid.

At one time it was attributed to Botetourt County VA, I remember that well since that is the county that my Gillespie gunmaker family live in about the time this rifle was thought to have been made. (not suggesting one of them built it)
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 12:17:34 AM »
Wallace's thoughts on the rifle can be found here......http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=21309.msg203095#msg203095

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:13:27 PM »
Thanks everyone. Tallbear,  that link to Wallace's post was wonderful.