Author Topic: Ramrod suppliers?  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Ramrod suppliers?
« on: January 25, 2017, 11:38:10 PM »
      I just went to order three dozen hickory ramrods and see that Steve Bailey is having health problems and his business is for sale.  Anyone have an alternate supplier of hickory rods in bulk, (usually 3-4 dozen) .
Thanks Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Ramrod suppliers?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:10:30 AM »
I just got a dozen from Dunlap.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 12:27:05 AM »
  Tip Curtis maybe? Just a thought Mike

Offline ScottH

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 02:42:24 AM »
Jim Chambers may be another option. I bought three blanks from him a while back.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 03:14:25 AM »
Really sorry to hear about Steve Bailey's health problems.
Andover, Vermont

Offline tpr-tru

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 03:20:23 AM »
Ron,   I believe Dunlap will be at Lewisburg.    Could be a savings on shipping.    Truman

Offline 3 swans

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 04:54:23 AM »
Hello. Just ordered ramrods from Larry Zorn, 740-286-2743.

Offline horseman

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 08:46:28 PM »
M. B. S.  is another place.  I bought six at once  last year and each one was a good one; no run-out.

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »
Steve Bailey sold out to Dan Putz. Hold on and I'll post Dan's phone number later.

Dan was a bowyer of self-bows back in 1991 and was always asked about the beautiful pieces of wood he had ... so now he deals in wood and makes kits for self-bows and such, think 6' long pieces for tje backing of a self-bow (no modern glass here!).

So Dan surely knows wood and grain run-out. I have an order in the mail from him and will report ... 60" pieces in 3/8", so this should provide some examples of his work.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 04:30:31 PM »
       I recently talked w/ Steve Bailey.  He has had knee replacement that is not going well, and could no longer run the mill and ram rod operation.  The operation has been bought out by Dan Putz 573-768-6920.  I spoke w/ Dan and he will continue to supply ram rods  (there is a price increase).  Dan also has traditional bow making supplies, backings staves etc. 
       Thanks for all the suggestions 

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard