Author Topic: 28 gauge Oct to round barrel weights  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Pat_Cameron

28 gauge Oct to round barrel weights
« on: January 31, 2017, 01:15:35 AM »
I have looked, in all the wrong places. Trying to find weights for Octagon to Round barrel weights.
I am planning on a 54 cal/28 gauge smoothbore rifle.
All my other guns are 38 inches and I planned on keeping this one at that length as well.

Do 54 cal barrels maintain the same dimensions as a 62 cal barrel only with thicker walls/extra weight.

What barrel maker might make a lighter barrel.

Thanks
Pat Cameron
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: 28 gauge Oct to round barrel weights
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 01:31:40 AM »
I just made a 28 bore with a 36" barrel , the finished gun  weighed 4 3/4 lbs. Bob Hoyt made the barrel.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 01:40:10 AM »
Some barrel makers make one external profile and then it comes in different bores.  Of course the smaller bores will weigh more and be thicker in wall thickness at the muzzle.  That can be a good thing if you are using it as a smooth rifle with sights (shooting round ball).

Fowling gun barrels and trade gun barrels can be quite a bit lighter with weight concentrated in the breech and the barrels quite thin at the muzzle.

Look up Colerain's barrels for some idea of weight, on track of the wolf's website.

The barrel RE Davis offered in their fine fusil kit was made by Ed Rayl I believe, and it's a dandy light barrel.  Oops that's a 20 ga.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:12:40 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Treebeard

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 04:32:22 AM »
I have had numerous dealings with Bobby Hoyt and he would always be my first choice. That being said he is laid up for a while. I noticed that Charles Burton advertises that he scales his smooth bores to the gauge. Maybe some of the other posters would have actual experience with his barrels. If you can wait awhile you would be happy with Hoyt.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 05:02:59 AM »
  Not a smoothie but Charlie made a barrel for me an it's extremely accurate. Would recommend him,highly., Mike

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 07:55:23 AM »
I have a Bob Hoyt barrel on my 50 cal.
I will look into that.
Thanks for the information and the other options.

Pat
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »
I just finished a gun with a 36" barrel, 28 ga., mounted on a Chambers Little Feller Stock for my grandsons ( 13 " pull, five pounds weight)

It came from Muzzleloader Builders Supply where the one inch breech fit exactly and the muzzle had to be bedded because there was about a 32nd of an inch difference and the octagon channel needed to support the round.

Of course that's not acceptable except for the fact that the gun was built from spare parts with a grandchild purpose, but for your purposes this thing gets tiny out by the front end

The Cartouche in the pictures is about 9" wide and , as said, the pull is all of 13" if that helps with proportioin.

Proportionally, this is different from the .62/20 Ga I ordered from Track for another project, being smaller with thinner walls at the muzzle. FRankly it became a case of who had what in stock, but they are all reliable barrel makers.

No, it doesn't have the same dimensions and I'd advise a chat with the Vendor before you place your order.  MUzzleloader Supply installed the plug and I would ask the guys on this forum about soldering the lugs in lieu of the thin nature of the barrel versus heat management versus your experience level.

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid

The Capgun Kid

PS  This little gun tickles me no end.  I believe Mike said the one he made weighed in at four and a half, so I'd ask him for some pictures.  It'll be a fun project when you settle on your decision.