Author Topic: LR RPL lock for TC Renegade  (Read 2639 times)

Deuce50

LR RPL lock for TC Renegade
« on: January 29, 2017, 08:07:59 PM »
Been lurking thru old posts and have read quite a few stories of guys purchasing this lock only to find out that they are no where near an easy replacement.  Everything from the touch hole doesn't line up, the lock bolt location isn't the same, or the lock plate is smaller than the original mortise.
Has anyone had success replacing these locks?

Offline Kevin Houlihan

Re: LR RPL lock for TC Renegade
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »
I replaced the lock on a Dixie Mountain rifle with an L&R RPL lock and it was a piece of cake. Very little additional I letting had to be done. Probably took me 1/2 an hour.  Good luck.
Kevin Houlihan

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:20:54 AM »
I started a thread on the subject a few weeks ago but there didn't seem to be much interest so I deleted it.

I just finished such a swap; I was putting flintlock in a percussion stock which may have made it harder but I suspect the lock plates are pretty much the same. What I found out was all TC guns are a little different, some make the swap with just inletting the lock mortise for the flintlock internals, some like me had to make some major alterations to complete the task. This leads me to believe that TC guns are the final product of whoever initially put them together at the factory, some are made more precisely than others.

Here is what I had to do to;

Remove a LOT of wood in the lock mortise to fit the lock, add wood to the lock panel to take up the sloppy fit of the undersized L&R lockplate.

Move the barrel back and down to align the touch hole with the pan. Plug and redrill the tang screw holes

Reposition the lock bolt hole so the bolt would hit the threaded part on the L&R bridal.

Grind off the tang on one side to accommodate the the lock internals and the new lock bolt hole.

Add metal to the set trigger bar so it would function properly with the L&R lock.

Sent the L&R lock back to L&R twice; the first time for a casting flaw in the lockplate and the second time because the tumbler shaft was too long and barely let the cock stop hit the top edge of the lock plate.

All said and done, it is a nice lock and enhances the TC gun immensely.

I started with a bunch of random parts;

And ended up with this;

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:28:13 AM by Eric Krewson »

Deuce50

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 04:45:56 AM »
Good looking gun Eric!  Is that a replacement stock for a renegade or an original?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 04:50:28 PM »
It is an original TC Renegade stock, my gunsmith friend had in the corner of his shop for years. You should have seen it before I started refinishing it, it looked like someone had used it for a baseball bat and hit rocks. Lots of steaming out the dents, filling the worst places and plenty of sanding and wood removal made it a pristine stock.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:51:26 PM by Eric Krewson »