Author Topic: Barrel lugs for a Hawken  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Paddlefoot

Barrel lugs for a Hawken
« on: January 29, 2017, 06:22:06 AM »
I have an old Sharon Hawken kit that needs some repair. The original barrel lugs were soldered on and for whatever reason the gun likes to shed them after a few rounds. Well it finally has gotten to feel like a personal challenge but I would still like to do the job correctly. What is the authentic form of the barrel lugs on the Hawken half stocks? Were they actually soldered, dovetailed or staked?
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline rsells

Re: Barrel lugs for a Hawken
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 09:33:13 AM »
I had one like yours many years ago, and had the same problem.  Back then I didn't use the low heat silver solder I sometimes use today to put under lugs on swamped barrels.  To fix my problem, I made a couple underlugs that were dovetailed into the bottom flat of the barrel.  I used a .050 deep dovetail because I wanted to minimize the depth I cut into the barrel.  I made the slots in the underlugs the same configuration as the ones supplied by Sharon to make sure the wedges would fit correctly.  My rifle was a .54 cal barrel one inch across the flats, and never had any issues with the results from then on.  The fellow I sold the rifle to still uses it and there have been no issues.  I have tried to get the rifle back several times over the years and have been unsuccessful. 
                                                                                       Roger Sells 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 07:11:36 PM »
 If the barrel walls are thick enough, I would buy a kit from TOTW, to install barrel staples. I bought a kit years ago, and almost never cut dovetails, except for sights, and thin, or light swamped barrels.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 07:52:12 PM »
IIRC the only original halfstock Hawken rifle barrel I was able to hold in my hands had staple under lugs in it. the barrel was found in a barbwire fence in Montana, being used as a tension bar for the wire. It still had a portion of the standing breach attached and some one had forged out the portion where the tang screw was for  use as a crow bar. Didnt think it would be too effective with the standing breach but thats what it looked like.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline louieparker

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 09:12:53 PM »
Dave I recently saw that barrel and it still looks as you described.... LP

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 09:30:27 PM »
The stapling kit from TOW includes a staking punch with a cut out that encircles the staple's leg.  I think that that punch has too much surface area to do the job correctly, and so I made my own punch out of a nail set, grinding the tip flat and a flat along one side to get close to the staple leg.  I am able to move the barrel steel around the leg in small areas without hitting it so hard that it dimples the bore.
Their double centre punch works well though.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 07:22:00 AM »
This is a .58 so the walls of the barrel are pretty thin. How deep does the loop have to be to stake it securely and not distort the barrel?
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta